Ruby 2.0 / Rails 4 respond_to produces ActionController::UnknownFormat

Hello all,

I am stumped by this issue I am having. I have created a new method in my routes file that I want to have accessible via javascript. Right now, I am getting the following error when I try to access the action:

ActionController::UnknownFormat (ActionController::UnknownFormat

Here is my environment:

routes:

resources :homes do
    collection do
      get 'set_active'
    end
  end

controller

def set_active
    @home = Home.find(params[:id])
    respond_to do |format|
    format.js
    end
  end

index page:

<%= link_to home.status, set_active_homes_path(id: home.id), remote: true %>

If i take out the respond to in the set_active action, it complains of a missing template even though I have a set_active.js file in the views/homes. This leads me to believe the respond_to block is the issue and not the fact that I am sending the JS format from the URL. It looks like this action is only responding to html even though i have put remote: true in the link_to. I am trying to understand what I am missing.

I did google around and the only thing I saw was that the js mime-type was not available by default and to add it to the mime-types initializer. But when i did that, rails said that it was already initialized.

Am I missing something to be able to add JS/JQuery support?

Thanks in advance

I have traced this down to cucumber not knowing how to follow a javascript link. Or that my step definition is not setup correctly to following a javascript link.

I decided to test that things were working as they should in the browser and they work as expected. So its something with using click_on that isn’t working right. Maybe there is something else I can use besides click_on that is created for javascript.