format.html {

}

format.js {

}

format.json {

render :json => JSON::parse({:list => @… }

}

format.xml {

#render xml: @person.to_xml(include: @company)

render xml: @commutes.to_xml #(include: @company)

}

end

→ the only thing i see is that the brwoser comes as / , which shouldnt be the problem:

Started GET “/whatever/in/St.%20Peters” for 10.0.1.37 at 2018-03-05 12:09:39 -0500

Processing by FooController#index as

any ideas?

thx

What does that mean?

( How To Ask Questions The Smart Way )

getting 406 due to rails giving me ActionController::UnknownFormat and i dont know why.

same routes(pattern) in a different controller work just fine. only difference is that the other one only does render, not repsond_to

getting 406 due to rails giving me ActionController::UnknownFormat and i dont know why.

Maybe because GET "/whatever/in/St.%20Peters" provides no information about the requested response format?

same routes(pattern) in a different controller work just fine. only difference is that the other one only does render, not repsond_to

I'd think that would be a good clue...

so how can i pass this along? why is it not assuming html?

Because computers don't make assumptions? :grinning:

Why are you telling it to respond differently depending on the format and then *not providing a format*??

1 Like

, :defaults => { :format => ‘html’ } fixed it

thank you

Awesome!

so how can i pass this along? why is it not assuming html?

Because computers don’t make assumptions? :grinning:

Why are you telling it to respond differently depending on the format and then not providing a format??

– Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

Started GET “/whatever/in/St.%20Peters” for 10.0.1.37 at 2018-03-05 12:09:39 -0500

Processing by FooController#index as

You really should have added one more line from the log here.

It was very likely looking for a :format => '%20Peters" because of the ‘.’ in the URL path.

Look at the output from rails routes to see the various ways that you might be routing to foos#index

Another way to fix this tends to “break” having multiple formats. You can add:

eg:

match ‘whatever/in/:seoterm’ , as: ‘seo_whatever _in’ , :to => ‘foos#index’, via: [:get] , :mode=>{:x=>’ whatever ',:y=>1}

, constraints: { seoterm: /.+/ }

so that :seoterm slurps all the remaining characters of the URL. This breaks the “implicit” (.:format) that gets added because the constraint will match the ‘.’ and everything after it leaving nothing to match the “optional” format.

-Rob

you are correct. the space and or the period was the problem here.

ill try out different solutions now

thx all!