routes and controller question

Hi,

I uploaded my application to the web server and every thing is working fine besides the admin area I created. The directory's structure is that all the pages that are controlled by an admin are inside "admin" directory. The admin controller basically just looks after the login and authentication. It has a method to check for login and redirects the user to the admin directory and in it to the product controller.

redirect_back_or_default(:controller => '/admin/product')

but what happens is that the login occurs fine but I get a 404 error, which I don't get on my local machine, because it works fine on my computer.

My routes.rb has the following lines:

map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format' map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'

My rails version is 1.2.3 but I'm not sure of the rails version on the server (I'm using rails playground hosting).

Maybe the problem is that the routes don't correctly map so Rails thinks I want to load {:controller => "admin", :action => "product"} even though I really want {:controller => "admin/product", :action => "index"}

Would anyone have asuggestion on how I could fix this?

TIA, Elle

Still get a 404 error. Same with any other pages I try to access that in the admin directory.

Elle

restart the production server… then it will work

Probably a silly question but still: on my computer I use ctrl+c to restart mongrel. On the web server, I will need to login using SSH and then what?

Elle

Wouldn't that kill the first running process, which I guess would be the web server? but then, do I need to start it?

Elle

Yes, Apache. When I run the first command I get: 2202 ? 00:00:04 ruby 2219 ? 00:00:02 ruby 22014 ? 00:00:02 ruby 22807 ? 00:00:07 ruby 23139 ? 00:00:05 ruby

so, my next command should be kill 2202??

Elle

I get this: -jailshell kill 2202 Operation not permitted

Elle

I wanted to ask again in regards to my original problem: where all my admin pages are in the "admin" directory but the application thinks I am trying to access admin controller action product instead of going to the product controller inside the admin directory.

Because it works on my machine but not on the web server, I tried to freeze gems and uploaded the rails directory that was created in the vendor one.

I also still have problem with restarting the server. The support team said to run the following commands: ps aux | grep username to see what processes belong to my user and then killall -9 dispatch.fcgi but again I get "Operation not permitted"

So, I'm still not sure why it works on my computer and not on the server. And I still not sure how to fix it. Would someone please have an idea of what my problem is?

TIA, Elle

What do you think, should I just eliminate the admin directory so all the controllers are in the same directory?

Elle