RMagick and ugly error

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I know allot of you are using either scruffy or gruff to generate graphs. I am running on a macbook pro with macports of ruby 1.8.5 rails edge imagemagick rmagick and trying to get either scruffy or gruff to work. my issue is that I can't seem to get either of them to work on this combination and can't figure out why. I have the following error in my mongrel log:

/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/scruffy-0.2.2/lib/scruffy/ rasterizers/rmagick_rasterizer.rb:16: [BUG] Bus Error ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i686-darwin8.8.2]

Here is how I am trying to make the graph:

View

<%= image_tag graph_url(:action => 'collection_worth', :id => 42) %>

controller:

def collection_worth     graph = Scruffy::Graph.new(:title => "Monthly Profits", :theme => Scruffy::Themes::RubyBlog.new)     graph << Scruffy::Layers::Line.new(:title => 'John', :points => [100, -20, 30, 60])     graph << Scruffy::Layers::Line.new(:title => 'Sara', :points => [120, 50, -80, 20])

send_data(graph.render(:width => 800, :as => 'PNG'), :type => 'image/png', :disposition=> 'inline')   end

as you can se nothing special right now just trying to get a graph to draw. (I have a route set up so that is not the issue in routes.rb as well) rails is going out and trying to build the graph but nothing is.

I am also using attachment_fu and it successfully uses rmagick to create thumbnails for various images as well. Any thoughts? imagemagick is version ImageMagick @6.3.0-3_0+darwin_8 (active) and rmagick is version rmagick-1.15.3

hope that someone can help my only guess is that I am using a bad combination of rmagick and imagemagick but I have no idea what the correct combination is in order to get scruffy (prefered graphing library) and attachment_fu to do exactly what they are supposed to with ruby 1.8.5 and rails/mongrel

hi, try using minimagick…link is http://clarkware.com/cgi/blosxom/2007/02/24#FileUploadFu…see if it helps -ciao AG

I tried playing around with scruffy and trying to use MiniMagick with it however I can't seem to get it to work. attachment_fu works perfectly but scruffy is not to happy with trying to use it. It seems that MiniMagick does not have a to_blob function and I can't seem to find it in the source of rmagick either but need to look at it a little deeper. Any other suggestions from others? What is the right combination of imagemagick and rmagick to use to satisfy both scruffy and attachment_fu?

thanks again Andrew

Matthew thanks for the help. Upgrading ruby as well as compiling rmagick and imagemagick from source fixed my issue. Not sure what is wrong with the imagemagick macport but that seems to have been the culprit (the latest one doesn't uninstall pretty leaves everything behind) at least on my machine it does and it took some time to find it all and manually delete it. But now all is well in graph land for me as well as attachment_fu is happily doing its thing

Flip