reverting to rails 2.3.3

Hi All,

sor some odd reason i updraded my gems, which updated rails from 2.3.3 to 2.3.5.

I now have issues:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:270:in `activate': undefined method `map' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 35:in `require'   from /Users/westy/apps/ruby/piste_buddies/vendor/rails/railties/lib/ commands/server.rb:1   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:in `gem_original_require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:in `require'   from script/server:3

i'm assuming it's to do with the update, so i need to know if anyone can advise me on how to revert it from 2.3.5 back to 2.3.3 (daft question i know)

can anyone suggest what this issue means? Google hasn't been much help so far, though i'll keep plodding.

thanks

ok...

so i now have version 2.3.3 of rails, but the error is still displayed when I try to run: ruby script/server

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:270:in `activate': undefined method `map' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 35:in `require'         from /Users/westy/apps/ruby/piste_buddies/vendor/rails/railties/lib/ commands/server.rb:1         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:in `gem_original_require'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:in `require'         from script/server:3

any ideas??

Quoting RubyonRails_newbie <craigwesty79@googlemail.com>:

ok...

so i now have version 2.3.3 of rails, but the error is still displayed when I try to run: ruby script/server

> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:270:in `activate': > undefined method `map' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError) > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: > 35:in `require' > from /Users/westy/apps/ruby/piste_buddies/vendor/rails/railties/lib/ > commands/server.rb:1 > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: > 31:in `gem_original_require' > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: > 31:in `require' > from script/server:3

any ideas??

gem list --local

Start removing the latest version of the ones updated. I'm assuming you did 'gem update abc_gem' or updated everything listed in 'gem outdated' and the previous versions are still installed. If you uninstalled the older versions, you'll have to depend on memory for the list to start reverting.

HTH,   Jeffrey

Problem solved.

I'd frozen gems earlier too, so removed the rails folder from vendor and it's all ok now...

Lesson learned there. I'll not d that again. :slight_smile:

Seriously consider fixing your problem and upgrading to 2.3.5, though. There was a big vulnerability fixed in that release: http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2009/11/30/ruby-on-rails-2-3-5-released

Craig Westmoreland wrote:

Problem solved.

I'd frozen gems earlier too, so removed the rails folder from vendor and it's all ok now...

Lesson learned there. I'll not d that again. :slight_smile:

Not do *what* again? I think you may have learned the wrong lesson...

Best,