A version problem

After updating, script/server fails with this stack trace:

script/server -u /.../1.8/rubygems.rb:223:in `activate': undefined method `map' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)   from /.../1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:35:in `require'   from <project>/vendor/rails/railties/lib/commands/server.rb:1   from /.../1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'   from /.../1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'   from script/server:3

script/server:3 is a blank line after "require 'action_controller'"

Any idea, how to fix this?

upgraded what to what? rails? ruby ?

radhames brito wrote:

upgraded what to what? rails? ruby ?

ruby from 1.8.6 to 1.8.7 and a gem update.

How to reinstall the rails stuff in the application folder after removing the old components?

You would do better to try and make your questions more easy to understand.

Do you mean updating the scripts and so on? If so then rake rails:update There is no need to remove the old ones first (I don't know whether it will cause a problem or not).

If you want to use a later version of rails in the app you will first have to update the RAILS_GEM_VERSION line in environment.rb

Colin

gem clean and clean the old gems then rake gem install

radhames brito wrote:

gem clean and clean the old gems then rake gem install

What do you mean with "clean the old gems"?

Colin Law wrote:

Do you mean updating the scripts and so on? If so then rake rails:update

Running rake rails:update seems to end in a similar problem, as running script/server:

sudo rake --trace rails:update (in /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz) rake aborted! undefined method `map' for nil:NilClass /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:223:in `activate' /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:35:in `require' /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz/vendor/rails/railties/lib/tasks/misc.rake:18 /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz/vendor/rails/railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb:4:in `load' /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz/vendor/rails/railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb:4 /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz/vendor/rails/railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb:4:in `each' /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz/vendor/rails/railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb:4 /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require' /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require' /home/inet/Aptana RadRails Workspace/wvz/Rakefile:10 /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2383:in `load' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2383:in `raw_load_rakefile' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2017:in `load_rakefile' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2016:in `load_rakefile' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2000:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1998:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/bin/rake:31 /usr/bin/rake:19:in `load' /usr/bin/rake:19

Colin Law wrote:

Do you mean updating the scripts and so on? If so then rake rails:update

Running rake rails:update seems to end in a similar problem, as running script/server:

sudo rake --trace rails:update

I do not know whether it is part of the problem but you should not use sudo here. You should be in the top level folder of the rails application (the folder with app, config etc in it) then just rake rails_update with --trace if you like.

Have you tried just making a new rails app to make sure that is ok? If that works then it is an issue with your existing app, if it doesn't it is a problem with your system.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

I do not know whether it is part of the problem but you should not use sudo here.

I was in the top level folder, w/o sudo, I get the same crash.

Have you tried just making a new rails app to make sure that is ok? If that works then it is an issue with your existing app, if it doesn't it is a problem with your system.

Do you mean to create a new rails app and copy my sources into the new project?

If that works then it is an issue with your existing app, if it doesn't it is a problem with your system.

It is for sure a problem from updating ruby/rails, since the app worked until I tried to update and I didn't touch any sources.

gem cleanup will remove any old gem you have is good if there is an older version of a gem that is causing a conflict

as old i mean in case you have more than one version of a gem it will remove the old one and leave the newest version

Colin Law wrote:

I do not know whether it is part of the problem but you should not use sudo here.

I was in the top level folder, w/o sudo, I get the same crash.

Do you mean to create a new rails app and copy my sources into the new project?

No, make a new rails app and check that it works without any of your sources. That will prove that a rails app *can* work on your system.

If that works then it is an issue with your existing app, if it doesn't it is a problem with your system.

It is for sure a problem from updating ruby/rails, since the app worked until I tried to update and I didn't touch any sources.

You do not know (or at least I do not know) whether it is a problem with your app being incompatible with the updated system, or whether it is a fundamental problem with your system such that it cannot run any rails app at all. In other words whether you need to fix your system or fix your app to be compatible with your system. The above test (making a new simple app and making sure it works) should show that.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

You do not know (or at least I do not know) whether it is a problem with your app being incompatible with the updated system, or whether it is a fundamental problem with your system such that it cannot run any rails app at all.

As I said yesterday: it's not my app which is broken, it is my rails environment: a new generated project gest started with script/server

OK, I found a simple trick to get the app running again: renaming the vendor folder and creating a an empty new one.