restful_authentication vs "from scratch"

I've never done authentication in rails, so please don't be rigorous.

The first thought was to use restful_authentication plugin. Since I found no api online, and all instructions said, I have to use generator (which is not what I wanted - I already had a model and I needed to integrate authentication in it), I decided to create an empty project and to check out what code the generator puts in the model and other files.

What I found, I didn't like. User model contained a bunch of lines with validators and other stuff. What I was looking for is one line, something like:

acts_as_authenticated

And that's it. Why mix plugin code with the model code? So, my questions are: 1) Is there any manual or readme on how to integrate this plugin, avoiding any generators, keeping as much code as possible out of /app dir? 2) If no, is it worth writing authentication thing from scratch?

Any useful suggestions are welcome.

I use restful_authentication in pretty much all my Rails projects.

These are my opinions, and they are only opinions:

And that's it. Why mix plugin code with the model code? So, my questions are:

All the stuff that gets applied to the User model by restful_authentication are perfect legitimate as model logic so it seems to be in the right place to me.

1) Is there any manual or readme on how to integrate this plugin, avoiding any generators, keeping as much code as possible out of /app dir?

No, why should there be? The author expects the user of the plugin to run the generator at the beginning of the project. This is the first thing I do in all my projects needing authentication. That's not to say it wouldn't fairly trivial to move the code over from a blank project. There shouldn't be that much work involved. Plus the generators allow a --skip-migration option, but you'll still need a reasonably compatible User model.

2) If no, is it worth writing authentication thing from scratch?

I would not write my own from scratch. I have better things to do with my valuable time.