REST with 1.2.3

Hello all,

First let me say im a n00b. Im coming into the OOP world from the design world. So far so good. With great resources like this, youre all making my life less painfull.

Question -

The current project im involved in is in 1.2.3 (not by my choice)

Basically i have a form partial that i want to be able to route the information to either create or update, but do this like rails 2 would do.

1 form, 1 submit button, and have it be smart enough to know what to do.

this is my form code

<% form_for :styles, :url => styles_url(:id => current_client.id) do | f> %> <%= render :partial => "styles/form", :locals => {:f => f} %> <%= button :action => :submit, :label => 'Save Styles', :class => 'blue' %>

i have a map.resources :styles in my routes

My Styles Controller

def create     @client = Client.find(params[:id])     @styles = Styles.new(params[:styles])     if @styles.save       flash[:notice] = 'Your custom styles have been created.'       redirect_to :controller => "client", :action => 'edit', :id => @client.id     else       render :back     end   end

def edit     @styles = Styles.find(params[:id])   end

def update     @client = Client.find(params[:id])     @styles = Styles.find_by_client_id(@client.id)     if @styles.update_attributes(params[:styles])       flash[:notice] = 'Your custom styles have been updated.'       redirect_to :controller => "client", :action => 'edit', :id => @client.id     else       render :back     end   end

any help would be great..

Hello all,

First let me say im a n00b. Im coming into the OOP world from the design world. So far so good. With great resources like this, youre all making my life less painfull.

Welcome!

Question -

The current project im involved in is in 1.2.3 (not by my choice)

That's unfortunate :slight_smile:

Basically i have a form partial that i want to be able to route the information to either create or update, but do this like rails 2 would do.

1 form, 1 submit button, and have it be smart enough to know what to do.

this is my form code

<% form_for :styles, :url => styles_url(:id => current_client.id) do | f> %>

I'm rusty on 1.2.3 syntax, but I think you can just specify the method needed:

form_for :styles, :url => styles_url(:id => current_client.id), :method => :put do

so actually, you might want to move this into your form partial, passing a local variable to indicate whether or not you should use :method => :put or :method => :post (or you can leave it off entirely for the :post case).

I can't tell from your code, but if your partial is using a variable like @styles, then actually you could just look at @styles.new_record? to find out if it's new (i.e. use :post) or old (i.e. use :put). That's actually what the 2.0 code does internally.

Hope this helps?

Jeff

www.purpleworkshops.com