render_component bug in Rails 1.1.6?

I am experiencing a problem with render_component in the following code (which is part of another controller's layout rhtml).

<div id="left" class="column">         <%= render_component :controller => 'test', :action => :navigation %>       </div>

When this runs, it *does* render 'views/test/navigation.rhtml', but *without* calling the navigation method in the 'test' controller.

I had understood that it would call the test controller, in order to render 'views/test/navigation.rhtml'.

When I call it directly with http://localhost:3000/test/navigation it calls the method as expected.

(I have also confirmed this by putting test commands in the controller method, which work correctly when run directly, but which do not get executed when run via render_component.)

Am I missing something here, or is it a bug which I shoud report?

Regards,

Chris.

P.S. I'm using Webbrick 1.3.1, Rails 1.1.6 and Ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux] on Ubuntu 6.06.

Chris Dew wrote:

I am experiencing a problem with render_component in the following code (which is part of another controller's layout rhtml).

<div id="left" class="column">         <%= render_component :controller => 'test', :action => :navigation %>       </div>

When this runs, it *does* render 'views/test/navigation.rhtml', but *without* calling the navigation method in the 'test' controller.

I had understood that it would call the test controller, in order to render 'views/test/navigation.rhtml'.

When I call it directly with http://localhost:3000/test/navigation it calls the method as expected.

(I have also confirmed this by putting test commands in the controller method, which work correctly when run directly, but which do not get executed when run via render_component.)

Am I missing something here, or is it a bug which I shoud report?

Yes, I think there's a bug with component actions written as symbols.

Try:       :action => 'navigation'

Thanks for your suggestion, I've just tried using a string instead of a symbol, but it's still broken.

Thanks,

Chris.