rake tells me to install gems that are already there

Hi, I've on hostmonster.com and i've run into a small problem that I just can't get. When I push my application into my hosting environment and try to run rake db:migrate, I get an error message from rake telling me to install the missing gem my environment.rb file has:

config.gem "formtastic" config.gem "authlogic"

So I installed them but I still get the same error. I've no clue as to whether this is a hostmonster problem or something in a rails script or configuration file that I'm overlooking.

I also found a gem called gemsonrails. So I was thinking if I link my gems to my application, then push it onto my hosting providor, I won't need to manually install gems then? Does anyone have any experience with gemsonrails?

Thanks

Most likely your application is looking for the gems at the server level rather than the user level. Here's a KB article from hostmonster.com describing what you need to do:

http://helpdesk.hostmonster.com/index.php/kb/article/000365

Cheers,

Sheldon Finlay

Hey thanks for the heads up!

I couldn’t figure out what to put in the ENV[‘GEM_PATH’], I tried ENV[‘GEM_PATH’] = ‘$GEM_HOME:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8’ but I was still getting the error.

I used rake gems:unpack in my application and then pushed it onto the server and that seems to work fine. I’m a little annoyed that it wasn’t working more naturally with the paths and stuff though.

Cheers

Hi, I've on hostmonster.com and i've run into a small problem that I just can't get. When I push my application into my hosting environment and try to run rake db:migrate, I get an error message from rake telling me to install the missing gem my environment.rb file has:

config.gem "formtastic" config.gem "authlogic"

So I installed them but I still get the same error. I've no clue as to whether this is a hostmonster problem or something in a rails script or configuration file that I'm overlooking.

You can get this error sometimes if there's a dependency missing (for formtastic or authlogic). If possible, try running 'rake gems' and look for entries that aren't installed.

I also found a gem called gemsonrails. So I was thinking if I link my gems to my application, then push it onto my hosting providor, I won't need to manually install gems then? Does anyone have any experience with gemsonrails?

Gemsonrails hasn't been maintained for some time (late 2008) and is now incompatible with Rubygems 1.3.7 (gets an error when unpacking).

--Matt Jones