gems not loading and causing Internal Server Error

I'm running rails 2.1.2 on a hostmonster.com server where I don't have control over the web server for restarts. My problem is that I can install gems, but they don't seem to work and my app can never find them and throws errors.

The relevant lines in my environment.rb

I have seen stuff like this before and it was environment issues... The rake command was running from a different install of ruby than the console/server scripts...

Did you install ruby from source and maybe you have the rpms for ruby installed...

Hi,

I think I'm having a very similar problem as you have. I have it with openid plugin:

I can use the gem after setting ENV['GEM_PATH'] = '/home/mydomain/ruby/gems'

But rake is broken, I can't migrate, or do anything with it, even script/about complains about the gem.

I´ve spent 2 days with it with no luck.

Regards

Freddy Andersen wrote:

I have seen stuff like this before and it was environment issues... The rake command was running from a different install of ruby than the console/server scripts...

Did you install ruby from source and maybe you have the rpms for ruby installed...

I didn't install rails, it came pre-installed on my account under hostmonster.com. That would explain why freezing rails doesn't fix the problem since I don't believe ruby is frozen with rails. I am going to try to install my own version of ruby and rails and see if that somehow fixes the problem.

I did a manual install of ruby and rails following the "HOWTO: Rails 2 on hostmonster" (google it). Also, I installed my gems using the --install-dir option:

$ gem install acts_as_secure --install-dir /home/my_website/ruby1.8/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

Now I can use script/console with no problem. I still have a "Internal Server Error", but I'm hoping that goes away when they restart the web server. I'm not sure if I could have used the --install-dir option on the original version of ruby installed, but it's possible that might have fixed it too.

To get "Internal Server Error" to go away I needed to fix the shebang line on my public/dispatch.fcgi file.