Rails Hosting

Getting ready to start a new commercial web site and looking at web hosting with Rails and EngineYard is very pricey and DreamHost.com scares me a little.

Anyone have good results with DreamHost and Passenger?

Any other suggestions for a new startup?

Craig

I would suggest you to check for a vps like slicehost, linode or rackspace instead of a shared hosting

Regards

Hi Craig,

I think we [1] can help, we offer managed Ruby on Rails VPS hosting so you get all the good of a VPS without even managing the server stuff.

Thanks, Maykel

Dreamhost are reasonably reliable and have adequate support, but the speed of rails on their servers is pretty poor. Even if you stretch to one of their VPSs, it's still pretty dreadful for commercial stuff (for practice/home use it is fine)

So, cheap and cheerful maybe, suitable for business production use? Hardly.

HTH

Matt

Craig,

RailsPlayground.com One stop for all Rails needs. Awesome support.

ok thanks

Heroku is also a good option. We are happy with them.

You really shouldn't be hosting a commercial website on unreliable shared hosting... Dreamhost works at times, but you get what you pay for.

You probably want to look at setting up a VPS at linode or slicehost.

You really shouldn't be hosting a commercial website on unreliable shared hosting... Dreamhost works at times, but you get what you pay for.

You probably want to look at setting up a VPS at linode or slicehost.

Yup. I regarded Heroku as a nice environment for development and staging purposes: quick git based deployment, 1 free thin instance (packaged in a dyno as they call it).

The blocker was SSL - they charge $100 monthly just to support one single certificate.

Fortunately there's a workaround now: http://wojciech.oxos.pl/post/277669886/save-on-herokus-custom-ssl-addons - basically you can host multiple applications with one shared multi- domain certificate (and pay this outrageous $100/mo only for one certificate).

Now I'm migrating stuff to Heroku. And dumping most Slicehost VPS servers.

BTW I go to Slicehost whenever I need VPS. Haven't tried webbynode - but their ready Rails stacks seem cool.

Regards, Wojciech