Rails generate tool takes about 20 seconds to start for any action

When I run "rails generate -h" it takes a little more than 20 seconds to print anything, the other tools, like controller, model, scaffolding, migrations, etc, too.

Any idea why this is happening? Since I'm really new with rails I tend to try all options and with this I'll be like the whole day =/

Please provide more information about your environment, OS, version of Ruby, version of Rails, etc.

Also the specs of your computer, CPU, amount of memory, HDD size and free capacity, etc.

The more information you provide, the better we will be able to help you.

Luis Lavena wrote in post #1012768:

When I run "rails generate -h" it takes a little more than 20 seconds to print anything, the other tools, like controller, model, scaffolding, migrations, etc, too.

Any idea why this is happening? Since I'm really new with rails I tend to try all options and with this I'll be like the whole day =/

Please provide more information about your environment, OS, version of Ruby, version of Rails, etc.

Also the specs of your computer, CPU, amount of memory, HDD size and free capacity, etc.

The more information you provide, the better we will be able to help you.

-- Luis Lavena

OS: Windows 7 Ruby: 1.9.2 Rails: 3.1 RC CPU: Intel Code 2 duo 2.4Ghz HD partition: 60/112gb

The problem is that it even takes 20 seconds to show the help command, ==the help command== "rails generate -h" 20 seconds to execute

Ruby 1.9.2-p0 up to 1.9.2-p290 (recently released) really suffer from performance issues on Windows.

Ruby 1.8.7 on the other hand, is way more faster in this area.

Ruby 1.9.3, going to be released next month improves performance on Windows, but still is not as fast as Linux (even so, way faster than what you are describing).

If you're not forced to use Ruby 1.9.2 for a particular reason, I would recommend downgrade to Ruby 1.8.7 until 1.9.3 gets released.

Luis Lavena wrote in post #1012784: