Rails Authentication Choices

I am evaluating the Yahoo Browser Based Authentication Rails plugin for use in my web app. It looks like a good idea to make the signup process easier by using this plugin.

I see the following advantages for using it:

1. Less code :wink:

2. I don’t have to struggle with Acts As Authenticated or RESTful Authentication plugins to get this functionality.

3. I can safely assume most of my customers already have an Yahoo account.

I don’t know what information will be made available after the signup process. Has anyone used it? Is it like Single Sign On? Does Google have something similar? TIA.

I'd offer it as an option, but I wouldn't require a yahoo account.

1. I can safely assume most of my customers already have an Yahoo account.

I’d offer it as an option, but I wouldn’t require a yahoo account.

For the second release I can give them another option.

If your target market is Yahoo employees, then I would say you can assume that.

I wouldn't sign up if I had to have a Yahoo account...

200 million Yahoo users!!! Very tempting. Ok, I am getting my hands dirty with the RESTful authentication plugin. Let’s see how it goes. Thnx.

Bala Paranj wrote:

I don't know what information will be made available after the signup process. Has anyone used it? Is it like Single Sign On? Does Google have something similar? TIA.

Even though Bala's decided that Yahoo authentication is best offered as a secondary option, I'd still like to know about the original questions. Anybody know?

Ron

Even though Bala’s decided that Yahoo authentication is best offered as a secondary option, I’d still like to know about the original

questions. Anybody know?

Ron

I posted this question on Yahoo’s ydn-auth group. I got very vague answers and links that I already have. Anyways, I got the RESTful authentication working and I have blogged the instructions here http://bparanj.blogspot.com/

It’s better not to have any dependency on Yahoo.