Rails and WebSockets

I'm thinking of starting on a Ruby website that uses WebSockets, and perhaps working some on a server for it beforehand. Is good support for asynchronous connections something I could work on adding to the Rails core? Is it feasible? Desired? As I understand it, Rails plugins like Juggernaut [1] aren't going to optimally support async, since they can't re-architecture the way connections are handled. Should I instead use Cramp [2] and incorporate the various features I like from Rails into it?

Thank you for your time!

[1] - GitHub - maccman/juggernaut: [DEPRECATED] Realtime server push with node.js, WebSockets and Comet [2] - GitHub - lifo/cramp: Real-time web application framework in Ruby

An event driven server such as one running on NodeJS or Cramp is the way to go imo. You could possibly run an EventMachine loop inside your Rails app itself, but that comes with it’s own set of challenges. Use the tools that fit the job, and when you’re talking about async pushing to and from the client, your messaging server should be eventdriven.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt