Rails 3.0 Invalid Date Error in Production

I’m using Authlogic with Rails 3.0 and I’m having an issue where my users can’t login. I have a customer model and a user model and in production my customer login works, but my user login doesn’t (in development both work fine). Someone please help, users generally frown upon not being able to login.

What happens is that when user_sessions tries to save it fails. Specifically, my Heroku logs say:

Started POST "user_sessions"
POST myapp.com/user_sessions
ArgumentError (invalid date)
config/initializers/american_date_monkey_patch.rb:11:in 'to_date'
config/initializers/american_date_monkey_patch.rb:17:in 'fallback_string_to_date'
app/controllers/user_sessions_controller.rb:in 'create'

american_date_monkey_patch.rb

if RUBY_VERSION >= '1.9'
  class String
    def to_date
      if self.blank?
        nil
      elsif self =~ /(\d{1,2})\/(\d{1,2})\/(\d{4})/
        ::Date.civil($3.to_i, $1.to_i, $2.to_i)
      else
        ::Date.new(*::Date._parse(self, false).values_at(:year, :mon, :mday))
      end
    end
  end

class ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::Column
    def self.fallback_string_to_date(string)
      string.to_date
    end
  end
end

user_sessions model

class UserSession < Authlogic::Session::Base
  def to_key
    new_record? ? nil : [ self.send(self.class.primary_key) ]
  end

def persisted?
    false
  end
end

customer_sessions model (same as above with a different class name)

class CustomerSession < Authlogic::Session::Base
  def to_key
    new_record? ? nil : [ self.send(self.class.primary_key) ]
  end

def persisted?
    false
  end
end

user_sessions controller

class UserSessionsController < ApplicationController
  before_filter :require_no_user, :only => [:new, :create]
  before_filter :require_user, :only => :destroy

def new
    @user_session = UserSession.new
  end

def create
    @user_session = UserSession.new(params[:user_session])
    if @user_session.save
      flash[:notice] = "Login successful!"
      redirect_back_or_default community_path
    else
      render :action => :new
    end
  end

def destroy
    current_user_session.destroy
    flash[:notice] = "Logout user successful!"
    redirect_back_or_default community_path
  end
end

Customer Sessions controller (similar but not identical)

class CustomerSessionsController < ApplicationController

def new
    @customer_session = CustomerSession.new
  end

def create
    @customer_session = CustomerSession.new(params[:customer_session])
    if @customer_session.save
      flash[:notice] = "Login successful!"
      redirect_back_or_default admins_path        
    else
      render :action => :new
    end
  end

def destroy
    current_customer_session.destroy
    flash[:notice] = "Logout customer successful!"
    redirect_back_or_default admins_path
  end
end

I'm using Authlogic with Rails 3.0 and I'm having an issue where my users can't login. I have a customer model and a user model and in production my customer login works, but my user login doesn't (in development both work fine). Someone please help, users generally frown upon not being able to login.

When you say it works in development mode is that in the same environment or are you comparing development on one system with production on another?

What happens is that when user_sessions tries to save it fails. Specifically, my Heroku logs say:

Started POST "user_sessions" POST myapp.com/user_sessions ArgumentError (invalid date) config/initializers/american_date_monkey_patch.rb:11:in 'to_date' config/initializers/american_date_monkey_patch.rb:17:in 'fallback_string_to_date' app/controllers/user_sessions_controller.rb:in 'create'

american_date_monkey_patch.rb

if RUBY_VERSION >= '1.9'

Are you sure you are using the same version of ruby in production and development? If not then the difference may be whether this code is getting invoked.

class String def to_date if self.blank? nil elsif self =~ /(\d{1,2})\/(\d{1,2})\/(\d{4})/ ::Date.civil($3.to_i, $1.to_i, $2.to_i) else ::Date.new(*::Date._parse(self, false).values_at(:year, :mon, :mday))

One of the two lines above is failing (not sure which as not sure which as line 11 (from the error) does not seem to match either of them exactly. If you still can't work out what is going on then put some debug in to work it out. See the Rails Guide on debugging for clues on how to do that.

Colin

They’re using different environments - development is on my PC, production is on Heroku.

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread, insert you reply into the previous post at appropriate points. Thanks.

They're using different environments - development is on my PC, production is on Heroku.

And the answers to my other questions?

Colin

Please don’t top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread, insert you reply into the previous post at appropriate points. Thanks.

They’re using different environments - development is on my PC, production is on Heroku.

Colin

Hi Colin, I think you’re right. I’m running 1.8.7 locally, but my Heroku stack is 1.9.2.

So my next newbie questions is how do I get my current local app to use the 1.9.2 that I installed (downloaded from http://rubyinstaller.org)? Is there some place to map my development environment to the new 1.9.2 install? After I installed Ruby, I went into the command prompt to run rails s, and I got this message, "report_activate_error: Could not find RubyGem rails <>=0

I tried searching, but couldn’t find anything except this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2741180/how-do-i-upgrade-from-ruby-1-8-6-to-1-8-7-on-windows

and the extent of it is download Ruby 1.9.2 and install.

Thank you

Sorry, if you are on Windows I can't help. Most Rails developers use Linux (I use Ubuntu) or Mac. You will have to hope someone here who uses Windows can help, or alternatively (which would be my suggestion) set up your machine to dual boot Win and Ubuntu, or run Ubuntu in a virtual machine using VirtualBox or VMWare.

There is however the question of why you are using american_date_monkey_patch (which I know nothing about) since it seems to be that that is causing the problem.

Colin

Sorry, if you are on Windows I can’t help. Most Rails developers use Linux (I use Ubuntu) or Mac. You will have to hope someone here who uses Windows can help, or alternatively (which would be my suggestion) set up your machine to dual boot Win and Ubuntu, or run Ubuntu in a virtual machine using VirtualBox or VMWare.

On 7 March 2012 15:33,

Please don’t top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread, insert you reply into the previous post at appropriate points. Thanks.

Colin

Hi Colin, I think you’re right. I’m running 1.8.7 locally, but my Heroku stack is 1.9.2.

So my next newbie questions is how do I get my current local app to use the 1.9.2 that I installed (downloaded from http://rubyinstaller.org)? Is there some place to map my development environment to the new 1.9.2 install? After I installed Ruby, I went into the command prompt to run rails s, and I got this message, "report_activate_error: Could not find RubyGem rails <>=0

I tried searching, but couldn’t find anything except this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2741180/how-do-i-upgrade-from-ruby-1-8-6-to-1-8-7-on-windows Hi Colin,

To be honest, this is the first time I developed something - I only started learning because my developer left me. I did some research and it seems like the purpose is to parse the date fields considering it is entered in an American format (and then saving to the database). However, I dug around and found this gem https://github.com/jeremyevans/ruby-american_date which I could probably use instead.