Rails 2.0/Autotest "Color is not a class"

I've made a model called Color to manage custom styles for my application. It works find when I'm running it locally in Mongrel, and I haven't tried to deploy it yet.

I use ZenTest and Autotest, and when I run autotest I'm getting the following message:

"C:/rails/band/trunk/app/models/color.rb:1: Color is not a class (TypeError)"

My Color model is very simple:

class Color < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :setting

validates_presence_of :title end

I've run 'rake db:test:clone' to make sure the test database is prepared. The application works normally in development mode, but it blows up in autotest. I'm not sure what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

This message is complaining that there's already a constant called Color and it's not a class.

Running this simple Ruby program give the same error:

Color = "Red"

class Color end

Now where the Color constant is being defined, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that it's not in Rails itself, my guess would be either somewhere in your own code, or in a gem or plugin you are using.

chances it's a naming collision rename your class and you will see

This message is complaining that there's already a constant called Color and it's not a class.

Thanks! Any ideas on why it would create a conflict in Test mode but not in Development? I'll look through the plugins I've got and see if it's defined anywhere else.

I believe it's not environment related I bet you are using redgreen, and it has module, named Color in redgreen.rb

That would be it. It IS environment-related, in the sense that redgreen doesn't load except in testing, so that would explain it.

Woot!

I edited redgreen so the Color class is in its own module, thus eliminating the conflict. Works perfectly now!