Question: dev mode: 500 errors - not displayed (config.consider_all_requests_local not honored)

I’m running dev mode, but all I see is “We’re sorry, but something went wrong.” when i get a 500. How can I fix this?

I believe I saw some fancy HTML version with details before, but now I only get a small box

Hi! I think what you’re looking for is config.consider_all_requests_local = true in config/development.rb

Hi Bruno, That value appears to already be set to true. Do you have any other ideas?

A git bisect tells me this problem started occurring I upgraded rails:

-gem 'rails', '~> 6.0.0'
+gem 'rails', '~> 6.1.0'

I tried upgrading to rails 6.1.4 but the problem persists

I also got this after upgrading to rails 6.1, have tried 6.1.4.1 but still get it I also have this in my development.rb: config.consider_all_requests_local = true

Did you find a solution @kingfoo

Also I’ve checked my development.rb vs the default for 6.1.4.1 and it’s identical except for adding a host via config.hosts for my local puma dev.

For anyone ending up here, I upgraded multiple Rails versions before I got to 6.1 (in steps) and I’m not sure at what point this broke for me. However I’ve just gotten round to actually dealing with this by looking into the log stack traces, which led me to the error being in web-console so I did:

bundle update web-console
Installing web-console 4.2.0 (was 3.4.0)

And it all works, this wasn’t captured in my bundle outdated checks as I was using --only-explicit as that’s all I believed I needed to care about at the time when upgrading gems; assuming that all dependencies would be upgraded as appropriate, but in my Gemfile.lock it’s still showing as web-console (>= 3.3.0) so that explains why it hadn’t bumped previously.

1 Like