500 page instead of stack trace on any exception

Hi,

maybe this has come up before, but a search turned up nothing useful...

Lately I'm getting the 500 error page whenever something goes wrong, for any kind of error, instead of the standard error page with explanation, stack trace, line number etc.

I'm not aware of changing anything in the configuration. I'd be really grateful for any tips on how to get my detailed error pages back for debugging.

Thanks in advance, Elmar

My configuration: Suse Linux , ruby 1.8.5, rails 1.1.6, server on localhost:8080 started from within radrails 0.7.1

Are you running in production mode? Only development gives the debugging info. Also, you'll get the server error if there are serious problems like your app can't even start up. Problems I've had that have caused this:

1) Incorrect location of ruby on the #! shebang line on the first line of dispatch.fcgi 2) Logfiles unable to be written(though I think this will usually crash the whole web server process) 3) I'm sure there were other things, but I can't remember them. Look at the DB connection, dispatch.rb    and anything else that may happen before the app can even start.

Elmar Schraml wrote:

I am running in development mode, and have config.action_controller.consider_all_requests_local = true in config/environments/development.rb

The app and server are starting and running fine in general, it's just that any exception (typing errors, compile errors, whatever) leads to the generic 500 page being shown rather than the page with the stack trace.

This started happening around the first time that I started using the app from other computers than the one where it is hosted, so it might have something to do with the server confusing local (from localhost) and non-local requests

Elmar Schraml wrote:

Hi,

maybe this has come up before, but a search turned up nothing useful...

Lately I'm getting the 500 error page whenever something goes wrong, for any kind of error, instead of the standard error page with explanation, stack trace, line number etc.

I'm not aware of changing anything in the configuration. I'd be really grateful for any tips on how to get my detailed error pages back for debugging.

Thanks in advance, Elmar

My configuration: Suse Linux , ruby 1.8.5, rails 1.1.6, server on localhost:8080 started from within radrails 0.7.1

I was having the same problem and with a little debugging I determined it was due to my config.action_view.erb_trim_mode setting in config/environment.rb.

After a little research, I discovered the following:

If the ERB::Compiler::TrimScanner#explicit_trim_line is not invoked, Rails (1.1.6|EDGE) rescue template craps out and doesn't show the stack trace. Instead, the public/500.html page is displayed. I believe this is because the omittance of the newline will place serveral lines of Ruby code on a single line and cause compiler/parse errors.

If using '<' or '<>', you will have to strategically place newlines in your templates. Otherwise, you must invoke the explicit_trim_line method, which is enabled by including a hyphen in config.action_view.erb_trim_mode. All possible values for erb_trim_mode:

1. 1    2. 2    3. 0    4. nil    5. '%'    6. '%-'    7. '%>'    8. '%<>'    9. '-' (Rails default)   10. '>'   11. '<>'

The source for ERB can be found in ruby-1.8.4/lib/erb.rb.

I've included an interesting method:

def prepare_trim_mode(mode)   case mode   when 1     return [false, '>']   when 2     return [false, '&lt;>']   when 0     return [false, nil]   when String     perc = mode.include?('%')     if mode.include?('-')       return [perc, '-']     elsif mode.include?('&lt;>')       return [perc, '&lt;>']     elsif mode.include?('>')       return [perc, '>']     else       [perc, nil]     end else   return [false, nil] end end

Other interesting methods include:    1. explicit_trim_line (invoked by specifying a hyphen)    2. trim_line1 (invoked by specifying '%>' or '>' or 1)    3. trim_line2 (invoked by specifying '%<>' or '<>' or 2)    4. TrimScanner#initialize

-pachl

Fixed it by simply removing ActionView::Base.erb_trim_mode = '>' from config/environment.rb

I originally put that in following the advice on Trim your output, but there's not really a good reason to mess with this option.

Thanks a lot to pachl for pointing out the cause of the bug.