No stacktrace from faulty view code

Hello

I am having trouble with my rails environment. Everything works fine excepts that errors in view code does not show a stacktrace, just the "We're sorry, but something went wrong." page, and the log just shows a "500 Internal Server Error" line.

I am running in development mode, and errors in controller code show a stacktrace.

Could someone first confirm that rendering view code like: "<% bogus %>" should indeed show a stacktrace, and not just an "We're sorry, but something went wrong." page?

I'm using ruby 1.9.3 and theese are my gems installed:

actionmailer (3.2.8) actionpack (3.2.8) activemodel (3.2.8) activerecord (3.2.8) activeresource (3.2.8) activesupport (3.2.8) arel (3.0.2) builder (3.0.3) bundler (1.2.1) coffee-rails (3.2.2) coffee-script (2.2.0) coffee-script-source (1.3.3) erubis (2.7.0) execjs (1.4.0) hike (1.2.1) i18n (0.6.1) journey (1.0.4) jquery-rails (2.1.3) json (1.7.5) libv8 (3.3.10.4 x86_64-linux) mail (2.4.4) mime-types (1.19) multi_json (1.3.6) polyglot (0.3.3) rack (1.4.1) rack-cache (1.2) rack-ssl (1.3.2) rack-test (0.6.2) rails (3.2.8) railties (3.2.8) rake (0.9.2.2) rdoc (3.12) rubygems-bundler (1.1.0) rvm (1.11.3.5) sass (3.2.1) sass-rails (3.2.5) sprockets (2.1.3) sqlite3 (1.3.6) therubyracer (0.10.2) thor (0.16.0) tilt (1.3.3) treetop (1.4.11) tzinfo (0.3.33) uglifier (1.3.0)

Thanks

That’s all you’ll get in production - exposing stack traces to the public is

generally considered a potential security hole.

For monitoring errors in production, there are a bunch of choices:

This one has been around forever, and will send you an email every time

your users get a 500 Server Error.

Provides a nice web interface and some tools for aggregating error reports,

tracking deploys, etc. They’ve got a free plan if you’d like to try it out.

Primarily focused on measuring application performance, but also tracks errors.

Also has a free plan to try out.

–Matt Jones

Hello

I am having trouble with my rails environment. Everything works fine excepts that errors in view code does not show a stacktrace, just the "We're sorry, but something went wrong." page, and the log just shows a "500 Internal Server Error" line.

I am running in development mode, and errors in controller code show a stacktrace.

Could someone first confirm that rendering view code like: "<% bogus %>" should indeed show a stacktrace, and not just an "We're sorry, but something went wrong." page?

Yes, in development mode you should get a stack trace wherever the error occurs. Have you touched config/development.rb? If you think not then post it here. Are you sure you are in development mode? Put a syntax error in development.rb to check. I think you may have to restart the server after changing development.rb.

Colin

Hello

That's all you'll get in production - exposing stack traces to the public is generally considered a potential security hole.

Of course. But this is development, as the OP has been at pains to explain to us.

I can confirm the same thing in Rails 3.latest, and I posted a full stack trace from a view error in 3.0.latest. Not sure where the break point is, I only have 3.0.latest and 3.latest here, perhaps someone with 3.1.latest could test and confirm -- only takes a few minutes if you have the gems.

Thanks,

Walter

This issue is solved in my older thread here:

Thanks anyway guys.

Daniel