Query Regarding MVC Architecture

Hi All,

Can any one of you please clarify me are there any ways in ROR that i can develop an Application with out following MVC Architecture or do i just need to strictly follow the MVC Architecture if i wanna develop Web Appliactions using ROR.

If so, can you please suggest me the ways too..

with regards, Kittu.

Let's make an important distinction here:   Ruby = beautiful OO language   Rails = full-stack MVC framework built using Ruby

So from that perspective, no, you cannot break free from MVC if you use Rails. That _is_ what Rails brings you. HOWEVER, Rails is 'integrated' with Ruby as a collection of gems that extend the core Ruby classes. The upshot of that is that you can pick and choose which gems you'd like to work with and develop your own RUBY framework that takes advantage of Rails' work. As an example, It's not uncommon to see ActiveRecord used outside of Rails these days.

There are other Ruby-based web frameworks out there. If you really want to break free of MVC you might google on ruby and web frameworks rather than rails.

I'm still learning this stuff, but it seems to me that MVC is so baked into rails that you'll wind up torturing yourself (and rails :wink: if you try and wriggle out of MVC.

So--can you say what you don't like about MVC? And why you want to use rails?

You'll spend less time and effort if you follow MVC. Trying to get around it will probably lead to much frustration. Unless you have specific requirements that demand you break out of MVC (and please share what they are with us), Just Do It.

-Kyle