Intro and some Architectual Questions

Hi All,

I've arrived at the door of Ruby! I'm a complete noob to Ruby and RoR and looking for some high level advice on things to look at.

I'm an experienced .NET system architect and PRISM/WPF/C# developer by day and have picked up a job that basically suits RoR, Postgres set up over the normal .NET SQLServer route I would take.

The whole MVC thing is very familiar as I make extensive use of MVVM/MVC/MVP/IoC with WPF & PRISM. What's going to hold me back initially is syntax and learning Ruby. I got the whole dev environment set up in a flash and have been playing about and doing some hello worlds :slight_smile:

The application I'm looking to build comprises of a highly dynamic Rails web site (jQuery, AJAX), a public HTTP API (XML/JSON) to feed the web site and third party apps and of course the database. All access to the database is handled by the API. Facebook/Native/OAuth and authorisation and authentication. Temporary tokenised credentials for 3rd party apps.

There will also be a mobile app (Android, iOS, Windows Phone) and a desktop widget on the Adobe Air platform further down the line.

The application will almost certainly end up on Heroku and possibly using Mashery to manage the API and Heroku Postgres database hosting solution.

Sorry for the waffle but though it pertinent to include as much background on the scenario as possible.

The question is what gems or libraries should I look at that go some way to providing some base functionality into a rails app that this type of application could benefit from?

There is no point reinventing the wheel when someone has already tackled some of the common problems I'll face.

I'll be using ActiveModel over ActiveRecord for the models as these will be sent straight to the public API for persistence.

Any recommendation would be great. Good article links would be great as well.

Looking forward to getting to know the group!

Jam

Explore https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/

Dheeraj Kumar

Dheeraj Kumar wrote in post #1077054:

Explore https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/

Dheeraj Kumar

Hi Dheeraj,

Many thanks for the link, this resource looks amazing. Thank you!

Jam