Problems when connecting to Sql server 2008 odbc no such file to load error

Hello i am a relative noob to the web world and i am now atempting to move a rails app to a windows server and connect it to a SQL 2008 database

in database.yml file

adapter: sqlserver   mode: odbc   dsn: Driver={SQL Native Client};Server=localhost;Database=DMBackEndServer;username=DM;Pwd=DM;

in gemfile gem 'activerecord-sqlserver-adapter'

i have also setup a system data source via microsoft odbc data source administrator tool

but all i get no matter how hard i try is

LoadError (no such file to load -- odbc):

What am i missing here ??

Help would be much apprechiated

if you are connecting to MS sql you should be using

adapter: sqlserver mode: ado database: blahblah host: mode_blah

adapter: sqlserver

mode: ado database: blahblah host: mode_blah

forgot to add

dsn : much_more_blah autocommit: true

Thanks will try that now and report back if it solved my problem

that only gives me syntax error mode:ado (ArgumentError) i get the same error on that line when trying mode:odbc

I found the problem i wrote mode:ado but i should be mode: ado the space inbetween is inportant. Anyway on to the next problem i now get the error unknown connection mode when i use ado Is ado included in the dbi gem or do i have to install some other gem ?

Ok it is still not working and i have gotten indikations from forum posts and blogs that i should use mode: adonet this bombs out with the message no such file to load -- System.Data

gem 'activerecord-sqlserver-adapter'

LoadError (no such file to load -- odbc):

When using the odbc connection mode for the adapter, you need the gem ruby-odbc to be installed. You will find more information to this gem on   ODBC Binding for Ruby

When you are running on a Linux System I would recommend using the new TinyTDS gem:   GitHub - rails-sqlserver/tiny_tds: TinyTDS - Simple and fast FreeTDS bindings for Ruby using DB-Library.

Use mode: adonet only when you are running on IronRuby !!

I have installed both gems via gem install 'gemname' after which i have wrote gem 'gemname' in my gem file and then run bundle install inside the project folder

'gemname' = is replaced by the name of the gem

So yes i have installed those gems i hav also tried this with ruby 1.9.2 and i am currently using 1.8.7 since this version seems to be more stable for win(?)

I am getting a lot of indications that i should manually copy a file called ADO.rb to my .../ruby187/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/dbi-0.4.5/lib/ dbi folder where do i download this file ? every link to it seems to point me to a dbi gem but not this file.

also the error i am getting is still argument error unknown connection mode for mode => "ado"

@Fredrik TiC Jansson

What os are you running your dev on?

Radhames Brito wrote in post #956337:

adapter: sqlserver mode: ado database: blahblah host: mode_blah

forgot to add

dsn : much_more_blah autocommit: true

Or rather, don't use mode: ado. Use mode: odbc if you're using ODBC, or (better yet) install tiny_tds, specify mode: dblib, and cut ODBC out of the equation entirely!

Best,

Windows server 2003

the app was originally developed on OSX snow leopard using just sqlite3 and i sucessluffy migrated it and got it running without a hitch on win server 2003 but i have to get it working with SQL sever 2008 for production purposes (sqlite3 just wont cut it)

Thinking this was just a windows problem was wrong ! i am apperently doing something really really wrong. i cant seem to get any gem besides rails to install properly !

installing mongrel works but installing dbd-odbc,dbi,activerecord-sqlserver-adatper and trying to use it always gives the no such file to load -- odcb error ! i have had som other errors which where solved by manually moving the files to the ruby appears to be looking for them but i am suspecting this is not the way to do it.

After som experimenting i am totally and utterly lost.

I run bundle install on my bundle and for example get using ruby-odbc i then when i start my rails server get require: no such file to load -- ruby-odbc

why?

Fredrik TiC Jansson wrote in post #957147:

Windows server 2003

the app was originally developed on OSX snow leopard using just sqlite3 and i sucessluffy migrated it and got it running without a hitch on win server 2003 but i have to get it working with SQL sever 2008 for production purposes (sqlite3 just wont cut it)

You might like TinyTds. I've just changed an app over to it here at work, and I am really liking it.

Also, if you have a choice, *do not* use a Windows server, and *do not* use MS SQL. I recommend *nix of some sort (I use Ubuntu) and PostgreSQL for ease and security of deployment.

Best,

i succeded in getting it working and posted a short how-to in this thread http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/90bac21d2f5d2616/908fbcaed47c5259#908fbcaed47c5259

will probably go the CentOS PhuzionPassenger MySql route in the future.