Problem with deployment of rails application using passenger and apache (Very Important)

Hello All,

I have been facing a weird problem since long and sometimes the things worked for me on one or the other server.

Again, I have build a new server and facing same problem. Could anyone help me in finding the cause??

I have passenger modules loaded inside apache conf file and DocumentRoot set to point to public directory. This Document Root works for static pages.

When I am going to browser and hitting the mydomain.com , I get the directory listing of public directory (similar to what we get using FTP links). I have been able to setup rails previously multiple times using mongrel but don't know why this problem is coming.

This problem came before also when I tried setting up the apache conf pointing to /var/www/html and had stored a symbolic link of public directory inside /var/www/html. At that point also it used to display the directory structure instead of the web page.

The problem to me seems to be something that the rails application is not able to execute and display the web page. But exactly I don't know the reason. I am not so much familiar with the apache configuration.

Thanks,

-S

Have you also set the

PassengerRoot /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.x.x PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby

sentences on Apachce conf?

Yes I have set the two appropriate configuration lines in apache. I was wondering if I need to enable any specific apache module for this.

Solved :

Linux Fedora's security policy was blocking the Phusion from initiation.

Thanks to others for reply