Deploying with Passenger question

Hi,

I followed the instructions for deploying a site with Passenger from the screencast that is on the Phusion Passenger site and it didn't work. I am using Dreamhost to host my site- could the problem be on their end? Someone suggested that I do:

passenger-install-apache2-module

on my command line but I already did that when I first installed Passenger and the Passenger Pref pane and I don't understand why you would have to install the apache2 module again when you want to deploy a site. Here are the steps I followed:

I added this to my configuration file underneath the Loadmodule text (the same place Ryan Bates pasted it in the screencast):

<VirtualHost *:80>       ServerName www.blah.com       DocumentRoot /Sites/work/blah/public/ </VirtualHost>

Then I restarted apache:

sudo apachectl graceful

and when I go to my sites url I get a "Index of /" page. Should I change the name of the server from www.blah.com to the name of my Dreamhost private server?

I don't know if this is relevant but I am using Mac OSX 10.5.7

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Calvin

Oh- "blah.com" is just placeholder text for what my my servername really is not the actual blah.com site which i did not create and am not involved with.

Just throwing the obvious out there since you didn't specify if you did it or not:

The LoadModule, PassengerRoot, and PassengerRuby lines are in your apache conf file right? If not, that's your problem.

Yes- the LoadModule, PassengerRoot and PassengerRuby lines are in my apache conf file.

What do your Apache logs say when you restart the server? You should see a line similar to:

[notice] Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 Phusion_Passenger/2.2.2 configured -- resuming normal operations

-Matt

It turns out that the instructions for deploying a site with passenger are different for Dreamhost. You have to enable Passenger in a domain management panel and then FTP your application. However, Dreamhost admits that their process of deploying and starting up a Rails application does not fully work... I get a Passenger error message when I go to my site's url: www.pwrpop.com and I don't know what steps to take to fix the problem.