Plugin Install from tgz or zip file

I have a plugin I need to install on my bluehost rails app. Using

./script/plugin install git://github.com/ambethia/recaptcha.git

My command line is giving me no response. It doesn't seem to try or even fail, just the next line in bash show us as though nothing was requested. I just assume bluehost doesn't allow for grabbing git urls, and I don't want to install local gems.

I then decided to download the tarball, and I extracted it, and now I am trying to install the plugin from file... what is the best way to do this? I assume there is an option where I download and extract the tarball to ../recaptcha folder. This folder contains the plugin, init.rb, lib/, test/, etc etc.

script/plugin install -from-file ./recaptcha

I don't see an option in the help files or through some forum searching, anyone know an easy way to do this, or know a good tutorial?

Thanks -Josh

I have a plugin I need to install on my bluehost rails app. Using

./script/plugin install git://github.com/ambethia/recaptcha.git

My command line is giving me no response. It doesn't seem to try or even fail, just the next line in bash show us as though nothing was requested. I just assume bluehost doesn't allow for grabbing git urls, and I don't want to install local gems.

perhaps git isn't installed ?

I then decided to download the tarball, and I extracted it, and now I am trying to install the plugin from file... what is the best way to do this? I assume there is an option where I download and extract the tarball to ../recaptcha folder. This folder contains the plugin, init.rb, lib/, test/, etc etc.

that's basically all there is to it - script/plugin just downloads the data into vendor/plugins/plugin_name and then runs the plugin's install.rb file if it has one (more often than not there isn't one)

Fred

Hi Josh    Actually what you extracted from the tar is the plugin itself. No need to install it. Just move it to vendors/plugin folder

Or

As Marnen Laibow-Koser said install the git client and then from the same vendor/plugin folder type

git-clone git://github.com/ambethia/recaptcha.git

Sijo

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi Josh    Actually what you extracted from the tar is the plugin itself. No need to install it. Just move it to vendors/plugin folder

No! Many plugins have an init.rb script that will be run by script/plugin install. Straight copying will not always install a plugin properly.

Best,

Concluding: (1) Just copy the plugin contents to the vendor/plugin folder. (2) execute the init.rb script with ruby.

That has worked for me so far, as retrieving from git, with Windows this is still a pain to do. There are other topics in this mailinglist about it :wink: