How to install plugin from *.tar.gz or *.zip?

Hi, I have a question about Rails plugin distribution.

Is it possible to install plugin from .tar.gz. or .zip file? For example:

ruby script/plugin install http://example.com/public/foobar.tar.gz

Is it possible?

# Installation from Subversion or Git repository is not what I want # because I want to *release* my plugin.

makoto kuwata wrote:

Hi, I have a question about Rails plugin distribution.

Is it possible to install plugin from .tar.gz. or .zip file? For example:

ruby script/plugin install http://example.com/public/foobar.tar.gz

Is it possible?

# Installation from Subversion or Git repository is not what I want # because I want to *release* my plugin.

-- makoto kuwata

I don't quite understand what you mean by "release". But, I do really like the,   ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/matthewrudy/rudeq.git

otherwise, I looked at the code recently, and it seemed to assume it was an svn url, unless it matches /git/ so, I don't think there's a tar.gz solution at the moment...

I imagine you could write one.

But I dont get the reason not to put it on github (or somewhere equivalent) unless you want to keep control of the source, but you say you want to "release" it...

Yes, I know it, but repository is always opened and everyone must install my plugin from current repository which is not always stable because it is under development.

I want to specify stable version by release.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "release". But, I do really like the,   ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/matthewrudy/rudeq.git

Yes, I know it, but repository is always opened and everyone must install my plugin from current repository which is not always stable because it is under development.

Well you can always give people the url to the stable version. that said script/plugin install doesn't really do anything other than
copy the plugin into vendor/plugins and run install.rb if it exists. A
lot of plugins have no install .rb so 'installing' the plugin just
means unzipping it in the right place.

Fred

makoto kuwata wrote:

OK, I'll prepare the url of stable version. Thank you very much.

makoto kuwata wrote: