please help - configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Hello,

I run macosx - leopard, which ships with ruby 1.8.6. I noticed there is now ruby 1.8.7 so I tried to install it.

I downloaded the zip file and opened Terminal. once i had 'cd'd to the correct directory, i tried to do ./configure as the README file suggested. this threw out the configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH error message,

I cannot get past this point now, so am not sure what to do now. I still have 1.8.6 installed as standard, but cant get past this,

Any idea?

I'm new to ruby, and only know a few unix commands, so any help would be appreciated (ideally step by step as this is very new to me!!)

Many Thanks for reading! Craig

Hello,

I run macosx - leopard, which ships with ruby 1.8.6. I noticed there is now ruby 1.8.7 so I tried to install it.

I downloaded the zip file and opened Terminal. once i had 'cd'd to the correct directory, i tried to do ./configure as the README file suggested. this threw out the configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH error message,

I cannot get past this point now, so am not sure what to do now. I still have 1.8.6 installed as standard, but cant get past this,

Any idea?

Did you install the Xcode tools ? (on one of the disks that came with your mac). hivelogic has a good tutorial on compiling your own ruby on a mac

Fred