PLEASE FIX THIS LIST

Whoever took everyone emails without asking need to read "producing open source software" from karl Fogel(one of the guy that wrote Subversion, and many more good software).

This will give you some very big good hint on mailing list : Things you should do or not, things you should tell or not..

You have just stepped in all the "do not".

Swearing and insulting people is definitely something that is not ok. Because you might be thousand miles away behing a computer does not make it ok and make you feel safe. So avoid this type of comments will be better for everyone in the community

You made a mistake, and it can happen. But you should at least explain your choices and apologize if need to be rather than being defensive and insulting. This is causing this long thread of emails that are unproductive for everyone

And definitely, like any code changes, you need to submit for approval or debate changes to the mailing list or any other part of the project. Making decision on your own is making yourself more a dictatorship than a democratic type of project. Open source is about working altogether and requires a bit more of communication than just insulting and send bad messages to the rest of the community.

Also this is were leader of a project should step in rather than ignoring the issue and let this huge flame was going on

Manu

We moved over the Rails list to google because it was pushing dozens of gigabytes of traffic every day and the mailman load was bringing the server it shared with the weblog, wiki, and other applications to its knees.

In the process, we exported the list of members from the old list and imported them here. That unfortunately meant that people with digest settings got subscribed with per-email. We're sorry about that. It should be quick and easy to change. As should it be to unsubscribe if you don't want to be on the list at all.

that's not the biggest issue. the biggest issue is that the old subject headers were dropped and everyone's filters were broken.

consider: i get about 1500 emails per day. broken filters mean a spammed a inbox. i happen to be in the middle of a panic situation at work and am conversing with my boss in thailand - to my suprise his messages came in between hundreds of rails messages. it's fixed now, but i had to do it by hand.

it would be great if you guys added the old subject headers in rather than asking 100,000 people to reconfigure their clients. imho.

regards.

-a

I don t think the problem is moving the mailing list.. The problem is about moving it without disussing it in the community. A successful(and I am not saying ROR is not) project knows that community is important and needs to be involved in some of the changes you make. You cannot just make the change and expect (Specially for mailing list that really involves the community) no reaction or everyone to be happy. Some people might have given feedback prior to the move.

It is easy techincally to fix this for anyone but that is the issue here. The issue is about leader stepping in at the right time with the right word and keep the project considering people opinion on this kind of change or at least warn then...

Manu

It's not the end of the world but it was sloppy, inconsiderate, and

These two statements are true.

LAME AS FUCK. Whoever did it ought to be slapped.

This is not.

The way you do it is this: You post the migration instructions on the list, many many times. That way anybody who cares sees it and follows the instructions

Not necessarily. I have been through other list migrations before. Some have been using the instructions that you've indicated, others have been through automatic migration (although keeping the user's mail preferences if at all possible). The *only* mistake made in this migration was that there was no mention of it until it was already done.

That's it.

-- and nobody else gets inconvenienced or SPAMMED.

I don't think that these words mean quite what you think they mean. Especially the last. (It's not spam. You *did* subscribe to the other list. It is therefore sensible to assume that you wanted to be included in the migration since the old list was going away. In no way can this change be considered spam, and anyone who thinks otherwise -- or reports abuse -- is simply being a moronic twit.)

Honestly, I think an apology is in order.

Yes. We're waiting for that, Mr Bowkett. From you and the others who have acted like children since the list migration.

-austin

How are you getting spammed? If you were subscribed before, you got the e-mails anyhow. You WERE subscribed before weren't you? Unless somehow Mailman decided to go rogue and find your e-mail somewhere else.

Is ONE DAY of non-digest subscription going to bring your machine to its knees?

I don't think anyone should apologize for the way it was handled; you know if they took your approach, many people would miss it and then those people would whine about it and say "WHY ARNT I GETING MSGS ANYMORE!? PLZ HELP!!!?? KLOLTHXBYE!!" This was obviously the most convenient and intelligent way to accomplish this, though I do wish they had mentioned something at least on the blog so I could have been aware of it beforehand (the initial e-mail was a bit unexpected and made me suspicious).

--Jeremy

Could one of you with admin access add the [Rails] back into the subject line? It's a configuration option in google groups to turn it on.

That would fix everyone's filters and stop those complaints with practically no effort on your part.

Also, there are a lot of us that don't filter this into a folder, but appreciate the subject line tag.

thank you!

what will happen if I send you an email with "[Rails]" in the subject? I do know nothing about google-mail - I run a mailserver by my own - but I think its a very bad idea to filter mails from lists by inspection the subject.

Can you give me a hint?

That’s how I filter on every other mailing list I use and never had any problems. I’ve never had an email from anyone saying [Rails] in the subject. What would be a better way of filtering in your experience? Currently am filtering on the reply-to address on the new Rails list.

Alastair

We've all got a problem We all want it solved

Right now, the list of people who can do that is vanishingly small maybe we shouldn't piss off the only people who can fix this?

and if my filters can't be fixed...cae sera sera, in two weeks time, will it still matter?

anyway, ignore we if it please you

gustav Paul

Nothing will happen, but it will silence 99% of the complaining, and this list can get back on topic and the admins can be heros.

As already said I do not know how gmail filters work, but the most preferable way to filter mails from mailing-lists is look at the "Mailing-List" entry in the mail header:

X-Google-Loop: groups Mailing-List: list rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com;   contact rubyonrails-talk-owner@googlegroups.com List-Id: <rubyonrails-talk.googlegroups.com> List-Post: <mailto:rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com> List-Help: <mailto:rubyonrails-talk-help@googlegroups.com> List-Unsubscribe: <http://googlegroups.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/subscribe&gt;,   <mailto:rubyonrails-talk-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com> X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavisd-new at mail.wlanhacking.de

I use kmail and some webbased email clients and it just works fine for me.

> what will happen if I send you an email with "[Rails]" in the > subject? I do know nothing about google-mail - I run a mailserver > by my own - but I think its a very bad idea to filter mails from > lists by inspection the subject. > > > Can you give me a hint?

That's how I filter on every other mailing list I use and never had any problems. I've never had an email from anyone saying [Rails] in the subject. What would be a better way of filtering in your experience? Currently am filtering on the reply-to address on the new Rails list.

I'll give a different spin. Not sure why anyone would choose to filter on Subject: contains [RAILS] when:

before: List-Id: contains "rails.lists.rubyonrails.org" after: List-Id: contains "rubyonrails-talk.googlegroups.com"

Works just fine. Those List-Id: headers are in there for a reason, I think.

Whaa, is it REALLY that hard to change Google Group's settings yourself?

I think that most filters would work if all subjects were tagged with [Rails] again. Should be pretty simple.

~k

And I hope you write no code whatsoever since you find it so difficult to manage your Google Groups subscriptions.

All the mail for this list comes from rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com on behalf of original sender

just filter all mail from that email addy to a folder

done

Paul Tremblett wrote:

How the hell can I get of this list?

At the bottom of each email you receive, you'll find

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

hth, Bill

That works, or you can just filter on the the "to" address for gmail. I don't think gmail has options for filtering on a specific header field, only to/from/body/etc.

Regardless, there should be no reason anyone with gmail has a problem - just create a new filter or modify the current one to have the old rails address, and the new google address in the to: line.

- rob