PLEASE FIX THIS LIST

As apparently many e-mails have already said, whoever was in charge of moving this mailing list to Google made a HUGE and stupid mistake by automatically adding people to this list.

I too have spent time this morning cleaning out my mailbox and trying to fix this. Apparently even joining and unsubscribing doesn't seem to work, as I am still getting emails. This is unheard of. Who migrates a list and automatically adds people without giving them options or a choice?

It seems to me the best solution to all the people you just totally screwed over is to kill the list entirely.

You can then start from scratch with invites or something. But all of us who want no part of this should not have to deal with this mess because proper procedure was not followed in moving this list. I can guarantee you that the emails from "us" are only going to get angrier and become more frequent until you address this.

Again I say, destroy this list and create a new one. Invite whoever you want (but not me.)

Thanks.

I totally agree.

SM

Yeah. I'm done here.

Danilo Gurovich Principal Engineer, Value Added Services EarthLink 2947 Bradley Drive Pasadena, CA 91107 626.296.5805 ­ ofc 818.554.4022 ­ mob

³You know, I have one simple request, and that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!²

I'm sort of surprised it was never discussed beforehand. There may have been other options, aside from Google groups. Perhaps someone would have come forward to offer to maintain the list.

S

As for me, I would prefer to be quietly and automatically moved to the new list. Since that didn't exactly happen, I'll just need to deal with a few minor email issues until things get sorted out. No biggie.

How the hell can I get of this list? I hope whoever pulled this idiotic move tests his/her code better than he/she tested this.

I don't understand what problems everyone has had... especially gmail users. I opened my emails this morning, surprised to find 20 conversations in my inbox. I created a new filter to make messages sent to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com add the rails tag and skip the inbox, checked the box that makes it apply the filter to existing conversations, then voila, everything works as before. I don't understand why other gmail users are having a problem. -N

Maybe we don’t want the mail at all - and maybe we would have liked to have been asked first before being added to a list we were in stealth mode on because we didn’t want to receive mail. Why is this so difficult to understand? I don’t want to spend time filtering my e-mail, I want off this list, like so many other people.

It should be painfully obvious with all the e-mails coming across that this is a major problem that needs attending to immediately. I didn’t ask for these e-mails, so I should not be getting them, period.

It’s bad enough with spam these days without having to fight overzealous list moderators.

Common guys, this is nuts. I'm a rank amateur on this list, but even I can figure out this current list migration mess, to wit:

[1] migration to a new discussion list server really should NOT be done by killing the old list and manually recreating the new one. Think about it just a bit. That makes no sense. What WAS done is the only really efficient way do it. I'm not aware that the list managers are exactly getting paid for the expenditure of their time. Efficiency IS a relevant concern, I think.

[2] Many of us are getting suddenly flooded by list email only because the header information in the incoming list email has changed (new server, remember?). Any filters we had set up in our email management programs need to be manually reset. No one can do that for us. It's a one-time small cost for the move. Just do it, and get on with life.

Why was the server change made? Who knows. At some point you have to let administrators administrate. It's their job. Think you can do better? Sign up to do some work. Meanwhile, have a little trust that they probably actually thought about it before they decided to do it. Wouldn't you have?

-- t.

[2] Many of us are getting suddenly flooded by list email only because the header information in the incoming list email has changed (new server, remember?). Any filters we had set up in our email management programs need to be manually reset. No one can do that for us. It's a one-time small cost for the move. Just do it, and get on with life.

Not true. I always subscribe as digest. Not a biggie to log on and change that but I shouldnt have had to - what was the motivation for moving anyway?

I for one have no idea how I got on this list. I am getting mail from some place to my other than gmail address. Ruby is a nice language. Rails is a POS (IMHO). I would like to know what address & what list I was on that got Migrated so I can complain to that list's administrators. This is SPAM. This is a violation of email ethics. It is not my job to fix YOUR spam intrusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -M

Amen to that.

I don't use an email filter. Apparently I am getting emails from a list I never subscribed to. Whoever the dataprocessing whiz that did this should undo it! M

I guess this SNAFU describes the kind of people who would use Ruby on Rails :

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

QUICK AND DIRTY!

Good lord, would someone please drop this person off the list? They obviously don’t want to be here and I doubt any of us want they here.

-Mat

Oh, God. I have also 123 messages, but I think it does not take me much time to delete everything. And jason perhaps would have to have added the members in the digest mode, not the mail one, but, on the other hand, I think it's better to add directly the members (we don't have to do anything else than change the mode of the incomming messages...)

I mean, this is not the end of the world....

Mat Schaffer wrote:

FACK!

2,3 clicks in kmail to setup the new filter and everything works again. I subscribed to the "old" list because I want to learn everything about RoR - I don't care if the emails are sent by mailman, google mailserver or from everything/everyone else.

PLEASE !

Stop being a moron. This isn't spam. It never has been. You subscribed to rails@lists.rubyonrails.org and apparently never unsubscribed. You would not have gotten on *this* list otherwise.

Give me a fucking break about "email ethics." Your own ignorance is not an excuse to accuse others of ethical lapses.

It should have been discussed and announced before the change was made, but it wasn't. Stop being stupid.

-austin

We moved over the Rails list to google because it was pushing dozens of gigabytes of traffic every day and the mailman load was bringing the server it shared with the weblog, wiki, and other applications to its knees.

In the process, we exported the list of members from the old list and imported them here. That unfortunately meant that people with digest settings got subscribed with per-email. We're sorry about that. It should be quick and easy to change. As should it be to unsubscribe if you don't want to be on the list at all.