php over rails?

Hi all,

I am in the

process of migrating a php site to rails with unending opposition from the company board. To a great extend they are justified since a rewrite of code from scratch will be always unstable. Also lack of rails professionals seems unacceptable to many.

Some of the

tasks are too complex (considering the time frame) to be migrated to rails. With such a perspective in mind, are there any libraries or OSS code which will help me have php and rails code persist together. Typically I would want session id to be maintained all across, php o/p to be maintained inside the layout frameset etc etc (i.e. inside <%= ** @content_for_layout** %>)

I am in the process of migrating a php site to rails with unending opposition from the company board. To a great extend they are justified since a rewrite of code from scratch will be always unstable. Also lack of rails professionals seems unacceptable to many.

Some of the tasks are too complex (considering the time frame) to be migrated to rails. With such a perspective in mind, are there any libraries or OSS code which will help me have php and rails code persist together. Typically I would want session id to be maintained all across, php o/p to be maintained inside the layout frameset etc etc (i.e. inside <%= * @content_for_layout* %>)

You can run them side by side (search the mongrel users mailing list for my name and "apache config" and you'll find what I've used). I don't think you'll be able to share sessions though unless you want to write a custom handler in php or something.

You can also nest the layout, but it's ugly (at least the way we did it until we re-wrote them). We had a "blank" action in rails that rendered "SPLIT HERE" as the content. Then in our PHP pages we'd make an internal request to that action, then split the result on that line, saving one as header html and one as footer html, then do our php, then spit it all out as one. Ugly, but it worked.

I'd just convert the whole thing if you can... if you've already got the business logic it shouldn't be that bad...

-philip