perfect Rails emacs ide

Hello list!

I currently use emacs for planning and notes (PlannerMode). Been using RadRails for Ruby/Rails dev but can’t stand it anymore. I’d like to set up emacs to be a powerful rails/ruby ide.

However, I’m confused - I don’t know where to start. I’ve seen these two screencasts:

Are these from the same emacs modes?

I’ve tried the emacs-rails but had some troubes with dependencies and also couldn’t figure out yet how to add the file navigation widget.

If someone could point me to the right direction on where I could find the right set of modes and elisp scripts to build that cool and productive ide of the screencasts, I would be grateful!

Marcelo.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I’m on Windows XP.

The file navigation is likely ecb:

http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

It required a cvs build of Emacs last time I installed it.

Hi Marcelo:

Both Marshall (1st screencast) and the second screencast are using the emacs-rails package along with ECB (emacs code browser). Marshall goes off to show a bunch of other emacs packages as well.

You can download the emacs-rails and ecb if you don't already have it. You'll also need emacs 22 (there's a emacs 22 package for windows) for emacs-rails to work. Xemacs (which I prefer) has a nice package manager and the windows installation comes with a lot of stuff working out of the box compared to setting up emacs, but is unfortunately not completely compatible with emacs-rails and some other emacs packages (like nxml which Marshall shows a bit of).

I've wanted to make a suped up mode for ruby as well as rails that was drop dead easy to install but never really got the project going.

Forrest

Thank you!