patch levels and ruby

How do you know which patch level to use for ruby? I have one project that uses ruby-1.9.3-p0. When I cd into another project, it says: ruby-1.9.3-p392 is not installed. So which to use: ruby-1.9.3-p0 or ruby-1.9.3-p392?

John Merlino wrote in post #1108958:

How do you know which patch level to use for ruby? I have one project that uses ruby-1.9.3-p0. When I cd into another project, it says: ruby-1.9.3-p392 is not installed. So which to use: ruby-1.9.3-p0 or ruby-1.9.3-p392?

What are you using to manage your Rubies? RVM and rbenv both have mechanisms for setting per-project Ruby versions. Do you have a hidden file inside the directly you cd into that specifies what version to use for that project?

Given there are known security issues in -p0 and -p392, why aren't you updating all your projects to the latest version?

Personally, with the rash of security updates we have seen lately, I would always use the latest Ruby you can in your major branch. Make sure your tests pass in the app that runs on v.0, and then update to the latest and run them again. If you're using rvm, that's likely how you got locked into v.0 and v.[whatever] in two different apps. If so, then check to see if you have an .rvmrc file in that folder. (Or local equivalent for some other ruby-switcher.)

Walter

I'm using capistrano. I added this to the recipe:

set :rvm_ruby_string, 'ruby-1.9.3-p0@online_store' # use the same ruby as used locally for deployment set :rvm_autolibs_flag, "read-only" # more info: rvm help autolibs

set :rvm_type, :system set :rvm_install_with_sudo, true

before 'deploy:setup', 'rvm:install_rvm' # install RVM before 'deploy:setup', 'rvm:install_ruby' # install Ruby and create gemset, OR: before 'deploy:setup', 'rvm:create_gemset' # only create gemset

Thats why patch level p0 is there. If I drop the -p0, will it install the latest rvm with each cap deploy?

My /usr/local/rvm/gems looks like this (on ubuntu server):

cache ruby-1.9.3-p0@global ruby-1.9.3-p194 ruby-1.9.3-p194@TrackingSystem ruby-1.9.3-p0 ruby-1.9.3-p0@online_store ruby-1.9.3-p194@global ruby-1.9.3-p392@TrackingSystem

Is this normal to be using so many patch levels? Obviously I want different gemsets for different projects to manage with bundler. But patch levels?