Passenger vs Mongrel

I have a simple question guys! Is passenger for deploying RoR apps vs mongrel, which one is better? I saw how easy it's to deploy passenger, but I wonder is it still relevant to current rails (2.3.2) and ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9?

I'm very new to RoR environment. I'm more familiar with how to setup LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP). Thanks...

Even with mongrel, setting up Nginx… is probably what you mean. With passenger, there is no need, Apache will serve the static files directly.

And yes, unless you have a very limited amount of RAM on your VPS, go for Apache+Passenger. We switched over from Apache+load balancer+Mongrel and it’s a major improvement both in ease of use and performance.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

You mean to say you don't use SQLite as you default development database? and you develop on Linux? :slight_smile:

Ruby 1.9 is fairly new, I'd go with 1.8.7 for a while still.

Rails 2.3.2 is also new but appears to be is running ok for me, just started using it a couple days ago however.

Power One,

The answer is 'it depends', if you are familiar with Apache, already have it running and feel comfortable managing it Passenger is a really good option, also it should do a great job if you are planning to have a bunch of small apps. If you are low on resources and need nothing but run a rails app mongrel or thing should do the job for you, usually with a small, fast, efficient web server in the front end as Nginx.

I would recommend posting it to the Rails Deployment Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-deployment/about

Best regards,