configure question and passenger

Greetings all. I have seen a couple of diagrams on the net that look like a computer set up as an nginx server and more than one mongrel server running at once. What is the advantage of having more than one mongrel server running? Is there a good how-to that explains it very well.

thanks

shawn

Greetings all. I have seen a couple of diagrams on the net that look like a computer set up as an nginx server and more than one mongrel server running at once. What is the advantage of having more than one mongrel server running? Is there a good how-to that explains it very well.

So that you can process more requests in parallel.

Fred

Fred,

Great, thanks for the reply. Do you know what book or site may have a good tutorial about how to pull this off? Most of the docs and tutorials i find just show setting up and nginx server with passenger. Thanks again

Shawn Bright wrote:

Fred,

Great, thanks for the reply. Do you know what book or site may have a good tutorial about how to pull this off? Most of the docs and tutorials i find just show setting up and nginx server with passenger.

Passenger (with either Nginx or Apache) is usually the simplest and best way to deploy Rails applications. What's your use case like that you need something different?

Thanks again

Best,

Right now i am using Nginx with Passenger to deploy. Does this only allow for one instance of Rails to run in each virtual host? I read in the Agile book that Rails is single thread and can only process one request at a time. I guess i need a more parallel approach. Also, and i did not think of this before, but is passenger actually running the rails app like webrick or mongrel ?

Thanks for all of your help.

shawn

[Please quote when replying.]

Shawn Bright wrote:

Right now i am using Nginx with Passenger to deploy. Does this only allow for one instance of Rails to run in each virtual host?

More than one instance.

I read in the Agile book that Rails is single thread and can only process one request at a time. I guess i need a more parallel approach.

Passenger provides that parallelism automatically. Read about it before assuming it won't work.

Also, and i did not think of this before, but is passenger actually running the rails app like webrick or mongrel ?

Essentially.

Thanks for all of your help.

shawn

Best,

OK, great, you have been very helpful. Many thanks.

shawn