pagination for an object array

def show_details

@sd_ticket = ServiceDeskTicket.find(params[:id]) @servicedesk_cis = @sd_ticket.service_desk_cis

end

What I need is a pagination for @servicedesk_cis using the custom pagination..How can i give offset and limit to this?

I have successfully done previously custom pagination in another def as below

def search_sd_ticket     @search_sd_ui_hash=params[:sd_ticket]     @sd_ticket_number=@search_sd_ui_hash[:number]           @sd_ticket_name = @search_sd_ui_hash[:name]

# step 1: set the variables you'll need             page = (params[:page] ||= 1).to_i             items_per_page = 20             offset = (page - 1) * items_per_page

# step 2: instead of performing the full find, just find the record count

@search_sd_ticket_count_result = ServiceDeskTicket.find_where(:all,:select=>'count(*) as count1' ) do

sd>

sd.number.downcase =~ "%"+@sd_ticket_number.downcase+"%" if !@sd_ticket_number.nil?                                      sd.name== @sd_ticket_name

end

record_count = @search_sd_ticket_count_result[0].count1.to_i

# step 3: create a Paginator, the second variable has to be the number of ALL items on all pages             @search_sd_ticket_result_pages = Paginator.new(self, record_count, items_per_page, page)

# step 4: only find the requested subset of @search_sd_ticket_result             @search_sd_ticket_result = ServiceDeskTicket.find_where(:all,:offset=>offset,:limit=>items_per_page ) do |sd|                                      sd.number.downcase =~ "%"+@sd_ticket_number.downcase+"%" if !@sd_ticket_number.nil?                                      sd.name== @sd_ticket_name                                 end   end

But here i directly gave offset and limit in find_where.So how can i apply this to my case?ie,

@servicedesk_cis = @sd_ticket.service_desk_cis #suppose contain 100 total records and i need as in my suucessful case 20 records per page..

Please help Sijo

Hi Sijo

I'm a bit confused by your example (ie too lazy to read it all properly), but what i usually do for custom pagination is to do a custom query to get the ids of the records i want, put them (the ids) in an array, and then do a paginated query for records whose id's are in the array.

eg

@records = Record.paginate(   :conditions => ["id in (?)", all_the_records_i_want_to_paginate.collect(&:id)],   :page => params[:page] || 1,   :per_page => 15)

Effectively you do two queries: one that gets everything, and then another that paginates across it. So, it's a bit clumsy maybe but you can often get the array of all required ids relatively efficiently.