Now this is a great move !

Will make life a little easy, for everyone :wink:

-Pratik

2 members??? Not much of an official mailing list.. Or was I the second to be invited? :slight_smile:

I’m confused. What is the point of this group? And isn’t the “Ruby on Rails” group the same thing?

My bad. I just read "Jason" and assumed it was an official move!

It is official.

Members: 4297

Nice and nicer to make an official ann on the Rails weblog... just a suggestion

Ah no-my-bad :slight_smile:

Awesome move.

No. The other "Ruby on Rails" group here on Google was just an archive. Not the actual hosting of the mailing list itself.

Jon Gretar wrote:

No. The other "Ruby on Rails" group here on Google was just an archive. Not the actual hosting of the mailing list itself.

"Ruby on Rails" group is a non-official group created by ppl who like using Google Groups as a forum mechanism.

Yeah. Sorry. I actually knew that but I just in a moment of madness confused it with the group "Ruby On Rails mailing list archieve" (http://groups.google.com/group/railinglist?lnk=la)

And it has had a bunch of people who don't like Google Groups and don't want to recieve email from the list forcibly signed up.

I've just had to spend time going through my inbox and cleaning up all the mail that I have no interest in. Even if I'd been receiving email from the old list I might have been doing do in digest mode, or been automatically filtering it into a mailbox other then my main inbox.

The correct thing to do would be to tell the old list about the move (with plenty of advance notice). Allow people to move over to the new list. Then turn moderation off on the new list and on on the old one.

Subscribing several thousand people with no warning is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Now, I can't use the web interface to unsubscribe without spending time setting up a second Google account (which I don't want to do), so I'm going to attempt to use the unsubscribe function on the email footers instead.

Subscribing several thousand people with no warning is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Same here. I had to clean a bunch of mails from my inbox. I would have prefered an announce on the rails list few days before, at least.

One day I am getting digests and the next day my mail box is full.

It is very annoying.

Why not just “invite” instead of “add”?

Rick Olson wrote:

Dont judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try..

It is official.

Members: 4297

How did I get on this list? It just magically appeared yesterday. Anything to do with signing up for a conference? I didn't see anything saying as such at the time...

Feels like spam...

Because it's a migration.