""no such file to load -- test_helper"

I have seen a lot of discussions about the issue where if you run a unit test from the command line you get the error:

"no such file to load -- test_helper"

I have been using the workaround of changing:

require 'test_helper'

to:

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper'

I'm hoping there is a better way? Maybe a fix in edge rails? Anyone have an update?

Thanks, Tom

The recommended way of avoiding this issue is to use ruby -I test test/unit/whatever.rb

Apparently putting the dirname in the require can cause all sorts of issues that I do not understand and we just have to put up with it. ( I don't mean we have to put up with not understanding it). I must admit that since I have never come across any of those issues I just put the dirname in. My projects are personal rather than commercial however so the fact that I may fall over this some day is my problem only. I think if I were doing a commercial app I would probably not put the dirname in, and put up with it.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

I'm hoping there is a better way? Maybe a fix in edge rails? Anyone have an update?

The recommended way of avoiding this issue is to use ruby -I test test/unit/whatever.rb

How to get that inside your rake test script?

Apparently putting the dirname in the require can cause all sorts of issues that I do not understand and we just have to put up with it. ( I don't mean we have to put up with not understanding it).

require '../foo' and require '../../bar/foo' will both load foo.rb twice. This is usually not what you want, but it's a simplification in the current require system. Because all unit tests should run in the same VM, the ones in different folders will load test_helper again.

Won't this fix it?

$:.unshift File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../' require 'test_helper'

Then the second occurrence of require 'test_helper' will not load twice, even if (on some dementedly configured system), the require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper' could have instead loaded a different one.

This works for me:

I just wish I didn't have to keep editing my test files. It sounds like there still isn't a consensus on a workaround or a fix in the works from the Rails Core.

Thanks, Tom

Colin Law wrote:

How to get that inside your rake test script?

You don't, the OP referred to the problem that if you run a unit test from the command line you get the error. If instead of running the unit test by

ruby test/unit/whatever.rb

you use

ruby -I test test/unit/whatever.rb

the error does not appear as the test directory is included in the ruby path.

The problem does not appear in the first place when using rake test

Colin