Newbie trying to set up rails with MySQL

Hello --

Please pardon my newness -- I'm just getting started with rails, and I'm having some difficulty getting it set up with MySQL.

I am able to get the basic ruby server running (script\server). When I created a new page (using script/generate controller about index), I am not able to navigate to the new page, and Ruby either crashes or gives me an error:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\ Tue Jun 15 13:53:08 -0700 2010   Status: 500 Internal Server Error   Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I have modified the database.yml file (full text of file pasted below). I know the password is correct, as it is what I use to launch mysql. When I enter 'show databases' into MySQL monitor, I see the two databases I specified (emporium_development and emporium_test). The MySQL service is running (I'm on Win7). I have tried both restarting the MySQL service and restarting the ruby server. I created the project with the command: 'rails emporium -d mysql' and prior to that, I installed the mysql driver for rails using the command 'gem install mysql'. I installed the 105.4 MB mysql from here: MySQL :: Download MySQL Community Server, but I have not installed anything else (outside of rails).

Thank you for any help you can offer!! Sarah

database.yml:

# MySQL. Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.

Last time I checked (which is at least 6 months ago now), the RoR mysql adapter and mysql 5.1 did not play well together on Vista/Win7. You may want to try version 5.0 before anything else.

I did the same for XP, I installed 5.0

This link my give some additional help:

JRuby works without any problem (at least with XP) since is using the Jdbc adapter, but probably you want to use C Ruby.

The problem is usually the dll and you could try this dll from instantrails: http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/InstantRails-win/InstantRails/mysql/bin/

As you know Ruby works better on Unix (Matz words) so if you can use Ubuntu or a Mac. After many complaints, at work, I managed to get a Mac and now I am really happy about my dev environment. If I where still in Windows, probably now I would be using JRuby for sure.

Yep, my problems was almost the same! And still not workable with mysql, I don"t know why. Please let me know if you have useful answer! Thnaks, gezope