New to this forum, and new to Rails - a question about contributing to guides / docs

Hello, all! This is my first post after just joining this discussion forum, so please forgive me and provide kind assistance if I have posted to the wrong subsection!

I am new to Rails but a real enthusiast of Ruby and loving Rails so far. I have a background in teaching coding and in education and feel I could help with documentation, at least for starters.

As I’ve not collaborated previously on open source on GitHub, having read the guidelines for contributing to Ruby guides or documentation, I am unsure if I have understood this correctly and thought the discussion forum would be less intrusive than an erroneous post on GitHub!

Here are my questions:

1. If I have a suggestion for improvement to a section of a Ruby Guide, but don’t know enough about the topic to fix it myself, is the correct approach to:

a. Open an issue on github, maybe labelling it doc? (In which case is there an easy way to check first if I am duplicating a previous issue?)

or b. Go to the source of the documentation on github and add a review/comment to the actual lines where I am suggesting an improvement?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Hey!

If you haven’t read these yet, I would start here:

If you have a question and you’re not sure what to do, the preferred place is here or discord.

We use the issue tracker for bugs in the framework, not discussions or feature requests.

It’s possible your message will not receive attention right away though, sometimes opening a PR and posting on discord is the best way to get feedback.

Good luck!

1 Like