New 2.7/3.0 keyword argument pain point

@Florent_Beaurain thanks for mentioning deprecation_toolkit, I should have also talked about how we re dealing with warnings.

We didn’t keep a close tab on how much time we actually did spend on fixing warnings, but a wet finger estimate would be 3 devs on and of over the course of two weeks, so maybe something like 1 week for 1 dev full time. That’s for a repo on which hundreds of people work every day, so in the end it’s a really small fraction of our usual development effort.

What I’m trying to say is that seeing so much warnings when you upgrade is really overwhelming, but in the end it’s not that much effort to upgrade as long as you silence the ones coming from your dependencies. It’s really nothing compared to the work we had to put in most Rails upgrade over the years.

So I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusion. Ruby is only missing two things:

• An easy way to forward parameters that works on all currently supported versions.
  • Some communication around the tools available as well as some kind of migration guide.
6 Likes