Need some guidance on running shell commands from my app..

During execution in my Rails web app, I need to create a virtual host config on my Linux server, but I don't know what would be the best way to do it , here are the steps ( my_domain.com is fixed, only my_subdomain is changing dynamically

1- create: /var/www/vhosts/my_domain.com/subdomains/my_subdomain/conf/ vhost.conf

ServerName mysubdomain.mydomain.com .. content is always the same...

2 - run : sudo /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-domain my_domain.com .. always the same command

3 - run : sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

What could be the best option to set/execute such script from my Rails web app ? any links ? thanks for your feedback and guidances

[Running Rails 3.1.1/Ruby 1.9.3/ Debian 6 Squeeze]

During execution in my Rails web app, I need to create a virtual host config on my Linux server, but I don't know what would be the best way to do it , here are the steps ( my_domain.com is fixed, only my_subdomain is changing dynamically

Not answering your question, but have you considered having a single wildcard virtual host (i.e. ServerName *.mydomain.com) rather than reconfiguring apache on the fly all the time?

Fred

thanks Fred , will give a try, I am using Apache behind Plesk ( to manage many subscription) , need to check if I can bypass it ...

I tried something similar in my PHP-days.

You really should not do that!

1.) Plesk would not be aware of that subdomain 2.) Plesk could overwrite or delete the manually added configs when trying to add the subdomain in Plesk

That are the main problems I stumbled upon that time.

The way with wild card domains all going to your rails app are much better. But I cant remember how to set them up in Plesk.

But with the Railspart <#123 Subdomains - RailsCasts; could help.

HTH Norbert

Thanks Norbert

I intended to use the Plesk API to add the new subdomain and the new subdomain ghost.conf, then exec reconfig domain and reload Apache... ( the way we use to do manually in Plesk console) but it's quite heavy work... I found how to setup wild card w Plesk ... : KB Parallels (quite weird..) and it's running fine .... can access any sub-domain....

Thanks a lot for your feedback !