Mysql connection problems

I am new to Ruby and Rails but have been running Linux servers for years now. I am trying to walk through the tutorial to learn all this new and wonderful stuff but I am having a problem. I believe the problem is that I don't have the correct gem mysql setup. Here is a rundown of what I do and what versions of stuff I am running:

linux:/home/daxm # cd /opt/cookbook/ linux:/opt/cookbook # ls . .. app CHANGELOG components config db doc lib log public Rakefile README script test tmp vendor linux:/opt/cookbook # gem install mysql -- -with-mysql-config Select which gem to install for your platform (i586-linux) 1. mysql 2.7.1 (mswin32) 2. mysql 2.7 (ruby) 3. mysql 2.6 (ruby) 4. mysql 2.5.1 (ruby) 5. Cancel installation > 2 Building native extensions. This could take a while...

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.

Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out linux:/opt/cookbook # gem --version 0.9.0 linux:/opt/cookbook # ruby --version ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i586-linux] linux:/opt/cookbook # mysql --version mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.13, for suse-linux (i686) using readline 5.0 linux:/opt/cookbook # rails --version Rails 1.1.6 linux:/opt/cookbook #

The gem_make.out is empty so this is all the error message I get.

I've searched the web for answers that adding the --with-mysql-config and/or --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin (or varients doesn't change the output. (Sadly I am having a difficult time finding tutorials or help that ISN'T Microsoft slanted. It seems just a few short years ago that problem would be reversed.) :frowning:

Oh, I am running SuSe 10 workstation and I performed the "server" install of Mysql off of the CD.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Go figure. I mess around with this problem for a few hours and finally give up and ask a question not only to solve the problem as my question hits the group list. And sadly enough it was a rookie type of mistake.
I didn't have gcc installed! Doh!

In my defense, though, it would be nice to get some sort of error message indicating that gcc isn't available or some such.

Dax Mickelson wrote: