Rails (and MySQL) on Linux - gem install mysql

Hi, I could use some suggestions on how to get Rails running properly on a Linux vserver running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10.

The application is not working as expected, on certain requests the server dies. In the log file I see MySQL connection problems. I don't have the MySQL gem installed so this is probably to be expected.

Assuming I really need this MySQL gem, the question is now how this can be installed?

gem install mysql is not working: user@epf:~> sudo gem install mysql root's password: Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org Select which gem to install for your platform (x86_64-linux) 1. mysql 2.7.3 (mswin32) 2. mysql 2.7.1 (mswin32) 3. mysql 2.7 (ruby) 4. mysql 2.6 (ruby) 5. Skip this gem 6. Cancel installation

Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install mysql checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lm... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lz... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lsocket... no checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lnsl... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:         --with-opt-dir         --without-opt-dir         --with-opt-include         --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include         --with-opt-lib         --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib         --with-make-prog         --without-make-prog         --srcdir=.         --curdir         --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby         --with-mysql-config         --without-mysql-config         --with-mysql-dir         --without-mysql-dir         --with-mysql-include         --without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include         --with-mysql-lib         --without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-mlib         --without-mlib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-zlib         --without-zlib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-socketlib         --without-socketlib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-nsllib         --without-nsllib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib

In the readme of the gem some suggestions are offered for installing this. These also don't work, for instance: ruby extconf.rb ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin ruby extconf.rb --without-mysqlclientlib

env LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/lib64/ ruby extconf.rb

Thanks and Regards, Onno

Hi,

Do you have the MySQL development library installed?

Off the top of my head,

sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql

should work assuming /usr/local/mysql has an include folder with the headers and a lib folder with the libraries.

Fred

I'm not sure, because when I do this: rpm -ivh mysql-devel-5.0.26-14.x86_64.rpm it reports and error: error: Failed dependencies:         mysql-shared = 5.0.26 is needed by mysql- devel-5.0.26-14.x86_64

I searched for 'libmysqlclient.so' on rpm.pbone.net and foundtwo rpm's SuSE 10.X ftp.suse.com/pub/update/10.2/rpm/x86_64/mysql- devel-5.0.26-14.x86_64.rpm SuSE 10.X ftp.suse.com/pub/update/10.1/rpm/x86_64/mysql- devel-5.0.26-12.13.x86_64.rpm

So I tried the one with the highest version number.

But I think I have it installed because when I do a global find on 'libmysqlclient' there are some hits: epf:/home/user/migration/soft # find / -name 'libmysqlclient*' /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.15.0.0 /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.15 /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15 /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15.0.0 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient_r.so.15.0.0 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient_r.so.15 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15.0.0

Thanks and Regards, Onno

I'm not sure where my mysql dir is, the mysql exe is in /usr/bin and it fails when I provide that directory: epf:/home/user/migration/soft # sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql- dir=/usr/bin Select which gem to install for your platform (x86_64-linux) 1. mysql 2.7.3 (mswin32) 2. mysql 2.7.1 (mswin32) 3. mysql 2.7 (ruby) 4. mysql 2.6 (ruby) 5. Skip this gem 6. Cancel installation

Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lm... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lz... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lsocket... no checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lnsl... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:         --with-opt-dir         --without-opt-dir         --with-opt-include         --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include         --with-opt-lib         --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib         --with-make-prog         --without-make-prog         --srcdir=.         --curdir         --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby         --with-mysql-config         --without-mysql-config         --with-mysql-dir         --with-mysql-include         --without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include         --with-mysql-lib         --without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-mlib         --without-mlib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-zlib         --without-zlib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-socketlib         --without-socketlib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib         --with-nsllib         --without-nsllib         --with-mysqlclientlib         --without-mysqlclientlib

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ mysql-2.7 for inspection. Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out epf:/home/user/migration/soft #

Instructions to fix this are here:

http://articles.slicehost.com/2008/7/8/ubuntu-hardy-installing-mysql-with-rails-and-php-options

On unix systems you can typically do "which mysql_config" and you'll find that the libraries are "$(which mysql_config)/../lib".

Then you can use Fred's tip and:

gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=$(which mysql_config)

Rick

Hi, I am also getting same error. I tried all options but still error is there. Can anyone point me to correct answer? I don't why the rails have this much of trouble.

Thanks, Tushar