gem install mysql

I'm trying to to 'gem install mysql' because it keeps saying that the libraries i'm using for mysql are not fit for production.

the packages i have installed for ubuntu hardy 8.04 are:

mysql-client-5.0 mysql-client-5.0

i am running rails 1.87 and gem 1.2.0

here are my results:

root@webapp1:/u1/app/wonderland/log# gem install mysql Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing mysql:         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lm... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lz... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lsocket... no checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no checking for main() in -lnsl... yes checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

any idea what else i might need to install?

here are some other packages that i might need but i don't want to break production if i don't have to:

p libdbd-mysql-ruby - Ruby/DBI driver for MySQL p libdbd-mysql-ruby1.8 - Ruby/DBI MySQL driver for Ruby 1.8 p libmysql5.0-cil - MySQL database connector for CLI

does anyone know offhand? thanks!

did you install build-essential and update?

sudo apt-get install build-essential sudo apt-get install update

i think you'll need this one too:

sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev

just to be clearer, i recently installed the mysql gem in ubuntu 804 and this is what i had to install:

sudo apt-get install update sudo apt-get install build-essential sudo apt-get install mysql-server sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev sudo apt-get install libdbd-mysql-ruby

PP Junty wrote:

just to be clearer, i recently installed the mysql gem in ubuntu 804 and this is what i had to install:

sudo apt-get install update sudo apt-get install build-essential sudo apt-get install mysql-server sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev sudo apt-get install libdbd-mysql-ruby

ah ok thanks. i did do update and build-essential

do you think i should install libdbd-mysql-ruby or libdbd-mysql-ruby1.8

what version of ruby are you running ppjunty?

ruby 1.8:

sudo apt-get install ruby1.8 ruby1.8-dev rdoc1.8 ri1.8

i installed libdbd-mysql-ruby, don't now what would be better.

cool thanks i got it installed with that advice.

hmm...i have restarted my sql and apache, how do i know if i'm using the gem libraries for mysql or my original install libraries?

rails will place the warning below in your log file if the mysql gem is not being used:

"WARNING: You're using the Ruby-based MySQL library that ships with Rails. This library is not suited for production. Please install the C-based MySQL library instead (gem install mysql)."

Scott Kulik wrote: