Multiple Controllers and Models in One View

My application has Account Status -> Upgrade account page that displays account model and billing_profile model. There is also another page Account Status -> Billing Profile that displays only billing profile.

Now, my question is how do I display both the account and billing profile models in my view? TIA.

Hi Bala,

please paste some code, it's hard to find your problem this way...

I was reviewing the AWDWR book, there is a section that shows how to use multiple models in one view. I will use the fields_for and see if I still have any problems.

The problem is that you cannot have multiple form tags in one view. This happens when you want to use more than one model in a view. Thanks.

So John - can you provide some background on how you solved this problem? Having been all the way through AWDWR, I have found no "best practice" for this problem mentioned anywhere in the book, nor by searching on the web. I think this is one of those Rails things that some people just "get" and others swirl around and bang into for a bit until they "get it". Your response will be helpful to all of us in the latter group! :wink:

John - Thank you for taking the time on this - I really appreciate it, and I think others will as well.

I am slightly behind you on the rails learning curve, but I had suspected that your approach might be the right path.

One question for you though about "automatic rendering" from a controller. When you call render for a partial in a controller's action, does the controller still automatically call its own render?

I have several models in my app, with one representing independent objects (rows), with several other dependent objects (rows) through a one to many relationship.

What I really want to happen is to have the controller's action render the information for the object it is responsible for, then each of the dependent objects in turn. My understanding of the "automatic" render call process is that a call to render the view for the action is done automatically on exit. So instead of getting the information I'm looking for at the top, I'll get it at the bottom of the page after all of the dependent objects have had the render partial calls done. Do I have this wrong?

I found myself in a similar position after reading AWDWR and other tutes. Left with a "now what" feeling re: page assembly processes. Controller -> view-> layout. 3 files. Done. Well, pretty much not done for any site I've ever designed.

Also for me, the way Rails starts with the view file and then gets the layout to wrap around the view is backwards from what I am used to. So, before I could go further, I had to focus on solving the modular page assembly part. Still not done sorting out the various ways to throw data down the pipe through partials, but that's what I'll focus on tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I wrote an article on what I've figured out so far in using layouts to spawn the inclusion of multiple panels to construct the page. I'll be reworking/extending it as I go to fill in this gap for deeper examples of real-world complex pages.

If anyone wants to offer comments/corrections/questions to address, I'd appreciate the input. Who knows, I might be totally embarrassing myself :slight_smile:

http://gregwillits.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/modular-page-layouts-in-ruby-on-rails/

-- gw

I will typically have several layouts in any one application. Most pages might follow a core 3column or 2column layout, where a few will need more elbow room and drop a column. Different sections of a site will have different needs for standard panels, etc.

While all of these details can be handled dynamically while using one layout (which does little more that structure the head and body), I find it less prone to CSS wrestling matches and generally clearer to have multiple layouts which provide a clean and clear structure and purpose for a given page style. Some might consider it redundant, but I find the advantages outweight it.

Also, one things Rails seems to lack is the concept of web site modularity. If it's there's I don't see it yet. In my own framework, if I create a news reading/writing section to a web site, that section lives under one folder. I can literally drag and drop that one folder from project to project and everything I need is encpsulated (without generating redundant code from module to module). Update the CSS, and it's ready use. So, my history with that type of development also tends to lean on separate layouts because as stand-alone shells, they're easier to share project to project.

Having said that, I'm used to a view building environment that seems to be very different from Rails, so while I'm trying to grok the Rails way, I may still be projecting a little bit of "my way" onto it. We'll see where I end up in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can transfer my acquired experience and the comments of others into a useful reference in that article.

-- gw

Greg,

a good write up and an interesting discussion.

A nicely presented pdf, just, a few editorials you may like to be aware of on Page 8, using content_for:

The second code fragment has left for right. the penultimate para starting OK - wording of first two sentences needs tidying. second column, first text para - about_right should be aboutus_right

The topic was particularly useful reading for me at the moment. I am already doing something similar to provide a prompt/errors div/partial that appears at the bottom of the screen. I use a partial for my own error messages, based on the rails methods and also put flash content into the div. I have yet to find the best way to convey the error_messages_for information to the partial. At the moment, I set an instance variable in the view which is picked up by the partial in the layout.

Also, one things Rails seems to lack is the concept of web site modularity. If it's there's I don't see it yet. In my own framework, if I create a news reading/writing section to a web site, that section lives under one folder. I can literally drag and drop that one folder from project to project and everything I need is encpsulated (without generating redundant code from module to module). Update the CSS, and it's ready use. So, my history with that type of development also tends to lean on separate layouts because as stand-alone shells, they're easier to share project to project.

I really like that idea, but I am not quite clear about what you mean by a section living under a folder. eg What lives in the folder, and how does it get accessed? I also like your point about separate layouts. Having an app that has now grown, I can see the sense in splitting this even with very similar layouts, just to make the css more manageable - thanks, I find examples of how others structure things really useful.

At the moment, I have just started experimenting with redBox modal popup boxes eg. to provide lookups for complex forms. This has given me a nice product, but a bit of a headache managing partials and controllers. I wanted to abstract out some parts of the handling such as look ups using auto_completer, edit and new. For example, trying to have common partials for customer where they can be used in different contexts, eg orders, repairs etc. Although I have got it working, I feel like I have begun to introduce spaghetti partials. with one linking to another etc. This also causes a headache of which controller things go in and calling partials from different controllers also gives problems if the right parts of the view are not correctly rewritten, the submit/link to remote can end up making the request to the wrong controller. I dont have any wisdom in this area, I am still thinking it through.

Tonypm

Greg, a good write up and an interesting discussion.

A nicely presented pdf, just, a few editorials you may like to be aware of on Page 8, using content_for:

The second code fragment has left for right. the penultimate para starting OK - wording of first two sentences needs tidying. second column, first text para - about_right should be aboutus_right

Thanks.

The topic was particularly useful reading for me at the moment. I am already doing something similar to provide a prompt/errors div/partial that appears at the bottom of the screen. I use a partial for my own error messages, based on the rails methods and also put flash content into the div. I have yet to find the best way to convey the error_messages_for information to the partial. At the moment, I set an instance variable in the view which is picked up by the partial in the layout.

I haven't fully reviewed Rails error handling systems yet. I've always had a global error manager for that stuff so it was available to everything at any time. Error handling was always a framework-wide service in my apps. It seemed to me to be one of those things that was worth allowing all objects of the app to know about.

I really like that idea, but I am not quite clear about what you mean by a section living under a folder. eg What lives in the folder, and how does it get accessed?

You can probably get a better idea of what I mean from this page: http://www.pageblocks.org/ftrs/api_site

I also like your point about separate layouts. Having an app that has now grown, I can see the sense in splitting this even with very similar layouts, just to make the css more manageable - thanks, I find examples of how others structure things really useful.

Yeah at some point, one layout with a boatload of conditional and modal clag hanging about just doesn't make sense to me. Takes longer to find what need to be changed than it does to maintain a few very simple duplicates. DRY is only useful if it saves you time & hassle.

At the moment, I have just started experimenting with redBox modal popup boxes eg. to provide lookups for complex forms. This has given me a nice product, but a bit of a headache managing partials and controllers. I wanted to abstract out some parts of the handling such as look ups using auto_completer, edit and new. For example, trying to have common partials for customer where they can be used in different contexts, eg orders, repairs etc. Although I have got it working, I feel like I have begun to introduce spaghetti partials. with one linking to another etc. This also causes a headache of which controller things go in and calling partials from different controllers also gives problems if the right parts of the view are not correctly rewritten, the submit/link to remote can end up making the request to the wrong controller. I dont have any wisdom in this area, I am still thinking it through.

At some point you have to think about the difference between when partials _can_ be reused because they happen to be similar vs when they _should_ be reused because you really do want where they're applied to stay identical. I've seen cases where people pull out code to be shared because it happened to be the same at that point, but it wasn't stuff that particularly needed to stay the same and indeed was subject to evolving design whim. Something to think about if applicable.

If you end up with partials that have conditional code in them to do X vs Y based on how they got called, or who they got called by, all that kind of code belongs back up in the controller (sometimes in a helper). It's possible you have a case where there is a lot of view logic. Post controller, but pre view logic that will feel out of place in either Rails box. In that case you generate another layer of logic beteeen the two so both controllers and views can stay clean. This can happen when you're developing apps that deliver to standard browser and mobile browsers. If your controllers are particularly complex with data management, it can be nice to not have to bulk them up with a lot of decision making about the display. So you push that off to another layer. Most web apps really don't need that, but some would. If anything, just think about whether you're ending up with code in partials that belong in controllers. You may need to create small methods in the application.rb file that handle those decisions and any re-mapping of data structures or object names to allow the partials to be usable by multiple controllers. And of course, if yo find yourself reusing partials, sometimes you go back and refactor your data structures because you've now learned they really are the same or similar things, so you can rename them to reflect that (and make them easier to pass to partials).

Anyway, just shootin' from the hip here...

-- gw

I do something similar it sounds in my application using embedded scaffolds. Take a look at activescaffold. Then you can next and have multiple tables on one page. You can also mix and match your find clauses as well.

Pretty flexable.