Migrating a complete Ruby rails app off heroku!!!

OPSPL Goan wrote in post #1176180:

Colin Law wrote in post #1176179:

Yes, the plan is to get it off any of the platforms. Host it on a clean Linux-Ruby-Rails Server. Virtual for that itself.

It's closed-source. Stuff owned by the people we're doing it for. So well, Looks like we'll have to upgrade it to Rails 4. And I'll have to find someone to do it. Know anyone who can try?

Get it working on the existing version of Rails first. Then upgrade it.

Colin

I totally agree Colin. But how....? That's the question. Nothing I do is working. Any pointers?

I have a fully set-up Ubuntu 14 LTS Server here. With Ruby/rails/etc. Total. But it just don't like the code....

Goan.

See below: $ foreman start 14:45:34 web.1 | started with pid 15163 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] Puma starting in cluster mode... 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] * Version 2.11.3 (ruby 1.8.7-p302), codename: Intrepid Squirrel 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] * Min threads: 5, max threads: 5 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] * Environment: development 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] * Process workers: 2 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] * Phased restart available 14:45:35 web.1 | [15164] ERROR: No application configured, nothing to run 14:45:35 web.1 | exited with code 1 14:45:35 system | sending SIGTERM to all processes SIGTERM received $

I even got it running with the ruby 1.8.7-p302. But it won't run :frowning:

What am I missing?

Goan.

You will need to engage someone with at least a basic understanding of Rails I think. I am not available. I am sure contractors are available. Someone here will suggest where to look I am sure, or google for Ruby Rails Contractor. Alternatively train someone up in-house.

Colin

Get it working on the existing version of Rails first. Then upgrade it.

I totally agree Colin. But how....? That's the question. Nothing I do is working. Any pointers?

Why ask for "pointers" if you're going to ignore them? You're still apparently trying to run this command

$ foreman start

when I gave you a suggestion to get more useful error messages some time ago. Did you try that? What was the result?

Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #1176191:

when I gave you a suggestion to get more useful error messages some time ago. Did you try that? What was the result?

I wish it would.... :frowning: (give more useful error msgs)......

That's all it does too:

$ bundle exec bundler: exec needs a command to run $

I appreciate you taking the time - but can you point me to something that will explain what I'm trying to do and maybe how to do it. It is my first time with RoR I agree - but I've handled pretty-much everything else. Ok? And this can't be rocket science. So at the risk of repeating myself "Any pointers?"

Goan.

$ bundle exec bundler: exec needs a command to run $

To recap, I said:

Failing that, stop trying to run the app; leave foreman, puma, etc. out of the picture and try running the tests. And use `bundle exec` to insure you're using the Gemfile-specified versions.

(P.S. The immediate error   ERROR: No application configured, nothing to run probably means there's no config.ru file in the main directory.)

The main point was to RUN THE TESTS. And using `bundle exec` does, yes, imply using it to run a command, but since I can't see your app I can't say what kind of tests it has, and hence what that command would be.

After you tried `bundle exec` by itself, did you read up on bundler? Try running `bundle --help` or similar? Did you look for instructions on running tests in Rails? Did you check for a config.ru file?

I appreciate you taking the time - but can you point me to something that will explain what I'm trying to do and maybe how to do it.

No. There is no substitute for understanding Ruby and Rails enough to work through whatever is going on. Without a certain baseline level of knowledge you're just spinning your wheels, as shown above.

Sorry.

No. There is no substitute for understanding Ruby and Rails enough to work through whatever is going on. Without a certain baseline level of knowledge you're just spinning your wheels, as shown above.

Sorry.

Y'know Hassan,

I've worked with computers and IT for as long as I can remember - and that's a long time. Mostly with Windows (of late) and had my fair share of other OSs too - from DOS & Unix to Linux.... But it's at times like these that I know why I really prefer M$ Products...

If it was some noob asking me the same questions, I'd have been able to point her/him to something lke this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPK9MGjhbhI and hope for the best. And they probably would have stumbled around and found their way. Maybe even been able to get it up and running :slight_smile:

You kinda guys with your cryptic answers is what makes it all the more difficult. Obviously I'm looking for some silver bullet. And there is I know. Not been around so long that everything's gotta be done the hard way see. So anyways....

Thanx for the help. Your confidence in the ability of others to figure out stuff they don't yet know is applaudable. I'm headed off this forum. Back to where I can figure it out with people that don't need to make every set-up into a "trial by fire - rite of passage"... Thanx.

And Colin, sincere thanks you did try. But maybe in future - if you thought more like M$, it'd make the world a better place. There is a quick and fast (and yes dirty) way to get stuff going. Not everything's gotta be perfect and "As it should be" see...

Au revoir....!

If I were doing the job I would first get it running in my system with rails 2.3.18 (the last rails 2 version) and then upgrade it. The easiest way to get it running with rails 2.3.18 would be to install a 10.4 LTS system (which is of the same vintage) then install rubygems (probably version 1.4) then 'gem install rails --version 2.3.18' and then 'rake gems:install' in your app directory. Take a look at Agile Rails edition 2 for help. After you have it running and all of the tests running you are ready to explore upgrading.

JMHO Norm

Norm Scherer wrote in post #1176272:

If I were doing the job I would first get it running in my system with rails 2.3.18 (the last rails 2 version) and then upgrade it. The easiest way to get it running with rails 2.3.18 would be to install a 10.4 LTS system (which is of the same vintage) then install rubygems (probably version 1.4) then 'gem install rails --version 2.3.18' and then 'rake gems:install' in your app directory. Take a look at Agile Rails edition 2 for help. After you have it running and all of the tests running you are ready to explore upgrading.

JMHO Norm

Thanx Norm,

That makes so much more sense. Yes - gonna try that and will keep you posted.

Thanx again. Finally someone with some sensible suggestion - whew - thanx!!!

Goan.

That’s not really very nice: "Finally someone with some sensible suggestion - whew - "

Folks stick their neck (name) out here to make suggestions…

Elizabeth McGurty wrote in post #1176321:

That's not really very nice: "Finally someone with some sensible suggestion - whew - "

Folks stick their neck (name) out here to make suggestions...

Sorry you didn't like that. Believe me I'm not that-a-ways either.

Read the whole thread. I've been here days trying to get "someone with some ideas of what I could/should try just point me in the right direction". I'm not asking them for a step-by-step what to do - just where to start looking? What'm I doing wrong? Is that too much to ask on this forum?

And all I get is guys telling me that I don't know what I'm doing and need to hire someone to do it. When I ask if anyone's willing - no one is! Then they say I don't have enough knowledge to get the task done - why'd I be on a forum "asking questions" if I did have the knowledge.

I'm part of many forums - where I do help people - been doing it for years - and I've even given some examples of what kinda stuff I'd expect. Ok. Not a youtube video answering my (yes I agree fairly complex requirement)questions... But gimme a break - I gotta get the job done, don't need to learn the whole science behind RoR - Just need to get working code (agreed legacy one) - up and running!!!

Is it too much to ask? On a forum for RoR?

So yes, that was really the first sensible answer. The rest were all the "you gotta master the technology and know it all" before you can get it up and running - kind. Not very useful see - to a lowly SysAdmin - trying to get the stuff "just up and running" for the team of programmers to take over and work on it - from there.

Long answer - Yes.... Apologies if I upset anyone.... But Man am I pi**ed!!!!

G

Hassan made two suggestions that as far as I can see (unless I have missed it) you have not responded to.

1. Start by running the tests that hopefully the developer provided with the app.

2. Check that the file config.ru exists in the root directory of the app.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1176330:

.. Read the whole thread. I've been here days trying to get "someone with some ideas of what I could/should try just point me in the right direction". I'm not asking them for a step-by-step what to do - just where to start looking? What'm I doing wrong? Is that too much to ask on this forum?

Hassan made two suggestions that as far as I can see (unless I have missed it) you have not responded to.

Yes I agree. But I also asked where and for someone who (very-obviously) is not familiar where to look ......

1. Start by running the tests that hopefully the developer provided with the app.

I don't know even where to look for this. Like if I was guiding someone on a Dotnet aspx IIS Server set-up I'd be saying "take this test page - put it in your default-web directory - run it and see what output you get etc."... See?

I told him it didn't. And...? What do I do now. Again for example had someone asked me a similar qn for the IIS Platform, I'd have given a sample/default web.config file. Asked them to put it into the default-web directory - run it and see what output you get etc."... See?

For a first-time RoR SysAdmin - where do i start. And sadly the documentation too is not really very helpful.

So:

1. What tests should I be running? And where would they be - or should I look for them? I told you we have no access to the original programmer. :frowning:

2. Can anyone give me a sample of a config.ru.

Thanx guys... Looks like we're getting somewhere now....

Colin Law wrote in post #1176330:

.. Read the whole thread. I've been here days trying to get "someone with some ideas of what I could/should try just point me in the right direction". I'm not asking them for a step-by-step what to do - just where to start looking? What'm I doing wrong? Is that too much to ask on this forum?

Yes I agree. But I also asked where and for someone who (very-obviously) is not familiar where to look ......

I don't know even where to look for this.

Google would have helped, also the Rails Guides cover testing (and pretty much everything else).

The tests should be in the test folder of the application. How to run then will depend to some extent on the sort of tests the developer provided. You could try rake db:test:prepare which should create the test database, then bundle exec rake test but as I said it will depend on the sort of tests the developer provided.

Like if I was guiding someone on a Dotnet aspx IIS Server set-up I'd be saying "take this test page - put it in your default-web directory - run it and see what output you get etc."... See?

I told him it didn't. And...? What do I do now.

I suppose you could create a new rails app using the version of rails that your app uses and use the config.ru from that.

Colin

On a slightly different tack, I believe you said that after you get the app basically working you would pass it to programmers to maintain. Rather than getting it running, then organising training for the programmers, then passing it over to them, you might be better to get the programmers trained first, then get the app going with their help. Many of the questions you have been asking are ones that they would know the answer to.

Colin

No. There is no substitute for understanding Ruby and Rails enough

to work through whatever is going on. Without a certain baseline level

of knowledge you’re just spinning your wheels, as shown above.

Sorry.

Y’know Hassan,

I’ve worked with computers and IT for as long as I can remember - and

that’s a long time. Mostly with Windows (of late) and had my fair share

of other OSs too - from DOS & Unix to Linux… But it’s at times like

these that I know why I really prefer M$ Products…

If it was some noob asking me the same questions, I’d have been able to

point her/him to something lke this →

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPK9MGjhbhI and hope for the best. And

they probably would have stumbled around and found their way. Maybe even

been able to get it up and running :slight_smile:

You kinda guys with your cryptic answers is what makes it all the more

difficult. Obviously I’m looking for some silver bullet. And there is I

know. Not been around so long that everything’s gotta be done the hard

way see. So anyways…

There is a silver bullet. LEARN HOW TO USE THE THING, OR HIRE SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Expecting people to help you when you don’t understand what you’re fiddling with is like standing beside your car with a flat tire and demanding a “silver bullet” to make up for your lack of a wrench and a jack.

Thanx for the help. Your confidence in the ability of others to figure

out stuff they don’t yet know is applaudable. I’m headed off this forum.

Back to where I can figure it out with people that don’t need to make

every set-up into a “trial by fire - rite of passage”… Thanx.

And Colin, sincere thanks you did try. But maybe in future - if you

thought more like M$, it’d make the world a better place. There is a

quick and fast (and yes dirty) way to get stuff going. Not everything’s

gotta be perfect and “As it should be” see…

BTW, I’ve got a Windows 1.0 app that I need to recompile for Windows 10. I need you to tell me the “silver bullet” to make all the compilation errors go away. It doesn’t need to be “as it should be”, but a way SURELY exists, right?

–Matt Jones

Has this set of messages been hacked? I see my name and messages that I do not understand?

Since you have not posted the offending text it is difficult for us to comment.

More likely someone has just got the quoting mixed up, or is that not what you mean?

Colin

Hi OPSPL Goan,

drop me a message, I can take a look on that app.

Taras Matsyk wrote in post #1176487:

Hi OPSPL Goan,

drop me a message, I can take a look on that app.

Can't seem to drop you the msg.

Mail me at online(dot)goa(AT)gmail.com Ok.

Where are you based and what kind of charges are you looking at?

G