Mac vs Windows -- app works in Mac and not in Windows

Does anyone know why an application would work on Mac and not on Windows? When I attempt to start WEBrick it tries to start and then it just hangs. There is no error message. Is there a way to debug to get further information?

Thanks

walksalong@gmail.com wrote:

Does anyone know why an application would work on Mac and not on Windows? When I attempt to start WEBrick it tries to start and then it just hangs. There is no error message. Is there a way to debug to get further information?

Thanks

I'd start by going through your source files and changing any tabs to spaces. Ruby on windows seems to have trouble with those...

_Kevin

I did try InstantRails, but the same results. CMD prompt opens to start Mongrel and then crashes. No error messages. Is there a system log that would offer more details or does it just die?

Open a ruby console window through Instant Rails (this ensures that IR's ruby\bin directory is on the path), navigate to the root of your rails app, and run the command:

"mongrel_rails start -B"

then look for the log file in your Rails app's "log" subdirectory.

Curt

Thanks Curt,

I ended up trying it both with ruby script/console for WEBrick and your suggestion with Instant Rails and I come back to the same error message:

I read some of the other posts which suggest tabs can also be a problem in Windows. Hopefully a best practices document will be created to remind developers of those known issues moving from one OS to another.

After replacing the tabs with spaces in the .rb, I was able to get to a new set of error messages when i started WEBrick. It turns out there are two gems used by the application that are not included with the RoR Windows installation:

* rcss (gem install rcss)     * redcloth (gem install redcloth)

It works now :slight_smile:

Thanks All!