Mongrel not starting

Uh oh...I made NO changes to any of my files. Yet, from within Instant Rails, when I go to Configure - Rails Application, check my application then press "Start with Mongrel" I get:

** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment....

And then the Dos window disappears, and my rails app never starts. Ugh...anyone have any idea where I can even start looking for whats wrong here? Thanks, rv

Is there anything in your log file? It sounds like mongrel is crashing. Are you using any C gems beyond those that come with Ruby? I have not used instant Rails. Can you try starting mongrel from the command line so the window stays open even if the process crashes?

Michael

I see in \rails_apps\myapp\loga\mongrel_debug\ files.log it says:

FILES OPEN AT EXIT

I dont have a clue what this means or how to resolve it? Any ideas?

Hi Ike,

Ike wrote:

Uh oh...I made NO changes to any of my files.

Not sure what you mean by this. Does you mean that mongrel *was* runnable before but now it's not? Or that you just unzipped InstantRails, didn't change anything, etc.?

Yet, from within Instant Rails, when I go to Configure - Rails Application, check my application then press "Start with Mongrel" I get:

** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment....

And then the Dos window disappears, and my rails app never starts. Ugh...anyone have any idea where I can even start looking for whats wrong here? Thanks, rv

This behavior is often seen when mongrel is started on a port that's already in use by another process. Open a command window and run 'netstat -a'. That will give you a list of all the ports in use and the processes using them. If you see port 3000 being used, that's the problem. Easiest thing to do is start mongrel on a different, unused port.

hth, Bill