Looking for Easy Rails hosting

Hi

I have registered for some paid rails hosting system that uses cpanel to deploy the rails apps. I could not deploy my app/ I tried several times with no success.

Does any one know a good hosting company that provide guidelines or tutorial on how to deploy that rails apps on their servers?

IMHO Heroku is pretty simple.

Kind regards, Joshua

dreamhost.com, they are quite cheap and give you a chance to grow up for very little money. Then you can grow into a vps at their site or move elsewhere. What they offer is pretty much unlimited bandwith and diskspace and they have a very nice cpanel.

Store as many sites as you want.

I'd have to second Heroku. It would be hard to devise something simpler.

I would recommend webappcabaret.com. They have RAILS already setup to run on Mongrel, Passenger as well as Glassfish. Price start at $10 per month. And you are still able to use cPanel or Plesk for general website management. Mohammed Alenazi wrote:

I am hosting on Site5 and it was quite a simple process, some forum tutorial reading might be required if you aren't very familiar with passenger. I'm using git to synch between my production and local dev code and its a breeze... Heroku is supposed to be simple, but I found it more complicated than not. Also cloud hosting is more expensive than 'classic' hosting unless you plan on being the next Facebook...

- V

Victor Stan wrote: [...]

Heroku is supposed to be simple, but I found it more complicated than not.

In what way? Git push, migrate, done. How much simpler do you want?

Also cloud hosting is more expensive than 'classic' hosting unless you plan on being the next Facebook...

Nope. Look at Rackspace Cloud's pricing and say that again with a straight face.

- V

Best,

I'm sure its simple on average. For me, deploying on Site5 was simpler. I also use a blank repository from which i clone my production site next to it on the server and my dev site on my local machine through ssh. Same thing, git push, git pull, don't need heroku for that, too costly anyway unless you want to scale rapidly, which i don't.

I did, maybe you can too: http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing

compare that to: http://www.site5.com/

Of course, first off, they both serve a different purpose and a different type of clientele. I wouldn't go for cloud computing just for the fun of it. Which is what I would do while I'm learning RoR...

Victor Stan wrote:

I'm sure its simple on average. For me, deploying on Site5 was simpler. I also use a blank repository from which i clone my production site next to it on the server and my dev site on my local machine through ssh. Same thing, git push, git pull, don't need heroku for that, too costly anyway unless you want to scale rapidly, which i don't.

With Heroku there's no git pull -- just push the code and it does everything else. And no setup of the Rails environment -- it's done for you. I've done both (though other VPSs, not site5) quite often. Heroku really is simpler.

I did,

You did what? Please quote when replying so it's clear what you mean.

maybe you can too: http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing

compare that to: http://www.site5.com/

Site5 is shared hosting, not a VPS, right? If so, then the two aren't really comparable -- and Rails generally really wants a VPS.

Of course, first off, they both serve a different purpose and a different type of clientele. I wouldn't go for cloud computing just for the fun of it. Which is what I would do while I'm learning RoR...

I wouldn't go for cloud computing for the fun of it either. The nice thing about Heroku and (I think) Rackspace Cloud is that they behave as if they're conventional servers.

Best,

"With Heroku there's no git pull -- just push the code and it does everything else. "

The problem for me is that it wasn't that simple, the app didn't work. While in an environment like shared hosting (if were comparing low price things, Heroku has a small free option as well) I have control over the database, I don't get how heroku's databases work... I'll assume that through ActiveRecord it doesn't matter. But whatever, if you want to see what's in the database, Site5 gives you PhpMyAdmin, I don't know how you check what's in the database on Heroku.

"Site5 is shared hosting, not a VPS, right? If so, then the two aren't really comparable -- and Rails generally really wants a VPS. "

Well the question we are supposed to be answering here is what is "easy" rails hosting, not VPS vs shared. That's a whole other chapter. Site5 is shared, its easy. Its setup for you out of the box. That's all.

- V

Victor Stan wrote:

"With Heroku there's no git pull -- just push the code and it does everything else. "

The problem for me is that it wasn't that simple, the app didn't work.

Yes, Heroku has certain limitations. But they don't apply to most apps.

While in an environment like shared hosting (if were comparing low price things, Heroku has a small free option as well)

More than small. Heroku's free dev hosting makes it excellent for projects in their early stages. Try doing that on Site5 or Slicehost.

I have control over the database, I don't get how heroku's databases work...

Standard PostgreSQL. No different from any other PostgreSQL installation. What's not to get?

I'll assume that through ActiveRecord it doesn't matter. But whatever, if you want to see what's in the database, Site5 gives you PhpMyAdmin,

That's a disadvantage -- PhpMyAdmin is apparently a known security hole.

I don't know how you check what's in the database on Heroku.

Then you didn't read their comprehensive documentation on this very subject.

"Site5 is shared hosting, not a VPS, right? If so, then the two aren't really comparable -- and Rails generally really wants a VPS. "

Well the question we are supposed to be answering here is what is "easy" rails hosting, not VPS vs shared. That's a whole other chapter. Site5 is shared, its easy. Its setup for you out of the box. That's all.

And judging from the number of problems from Site5 users I've seen on this list, I doubt that it's easy. Rails is not generally easy on shared hosts.

- V

Best,

Actually Rackspace cloud can be expensive once you get lots of traffic. The price is assuming that you don't have any traffic at all to your site. Rackspace cloud prices is dependant to the bandwidth in and out from your site. That is why with Rackspace they only charge monthly, unlike in VPS where you can pay flat fee for a year.

Kind regards, Joshua